"Racial Divider" Within Electronic Music?? - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Rick Rubin did more for rap/hip hop than Eminem ever did. In fact you could probably say without Rick Rubin there might not have been an Eminem.
    I have tons of respect for Rick Rubin but
    Eminem has sold more records than any hip hop act ever(why)! Tupac is second!

MC Hammer sold more records than any act ever created by Rubin! Just Sayin

But back to the real matter at hand, maybe more consumers of EDM are white which would lead to more white acts being consumed.
    While Most of the pioneers of all great music formats have been Black most of the consuming music buyers have been white. This goes back to Blues, Jazz, Rock,House,Hip Hop and Techno! Record companies copied black music and re branded it with what they thought would be marketable to the consuming target market! But to say racism does not exist in music is Laughable!
    Most of these genres came about because of some form of rebellion against the Establishment!
    Hopefully one day we can remove the word of racism from the dictionary but I dare say
    its a slim Hope in my lifetime!

johnny know it all ladies and gentlemen...can i get a round of applause...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

and to judge someones impact by their record sales?...i will let other people handle that one...

co-founder of Def Jam VS. the great white hype?....you tell me...

Abba's in the 300 million records sold club?...wow...let's discuss that...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    Abba's in the 300 million records sold club?...wow...let's discuss that...

According to the Guiness Book of World Records, sales of Beatles records, tapes, CD's, etc., surpassed
    1 billion in 1985. To date, sales are between 1.1 and 1.2 billion.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

1 billion

i blame it on all the re-issues...

race is still a major part of life, but music is the one place that i think it doesnt matter. from my experience people tend to divide themselves into subcultures. the indie kids stick together, punk kids, all the painters, jocks etc. (horrible examples, i know).

There is racism in the world. We have not moved to a point in which we are "post-race." Racism pervades society. It is not something that sees itself expressed only in the use of racial slurs or violent actions against those for purposes of hatred. Racism instead can be found in acts that many in the racial majority would find not that serious, or even commonplace; things that many in the majority population may think don't even matter.

That said, racism is in present in music. It is present in the music business and it is present in music scenes. Like an earlier commenter pointed out, the music industry took black culture and distilled it to a white audience. Think of Elvis being thought of as the king and originator of Rock and Roll in the public consciousness, rather than Chuck Berry or other black originators.

Of course, people can point out exceptions. Michael Jackson has one of the highest selling albums ever, and he was black (at one time being the joke to go to there). But we forgot that his record label had to threaten to pull all of their other artists' videos from MTV before he was able to have his videos shown on the network.

We also have to look at "crossovers" which is something that rap has to deal with. If a rap song is too grimey, too hood, it typically does not get played on the radio unless the station is specifically an urban radio station. It has to appeal to the pop sensibilities of the majority population to make a splash on the mainstream.

Take the anecdotal story of Santigold in her scene. Although she is a rocker, many people tried to pigeonhole her into hip hop, so she hung around with mostly black rockers in the same scene; not a diverse selection of people, something that many people seem to be saying would happen, seeing as there is no "racial divide."

This anecdotal stuff can be found within lots of scenes, but many people will say that these are exceptions, there's a black guy in their scene. I would suggest that people research the ideas of privilege, power, microagressions, and other such topics in race before dismissing the idea of the racial divide in music.

Also, I have noticed that a majority of people who post here (based on the pictures posted in another thread) are white, so it would seem that a lot of people don't believe that racism against blacks is very prevelant and actually, anti-white racism is more prevelant, at least for those in the US (based on a Harvard Business study), so I would push that those who are dismissing this idea really look into the things I listed earlier.
    Stanton t.52, Staton t.62, Stanton m.212 mixer, Akai MPD24, Akai MPK25, TSP, MIDI Fighter

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112