Love my S4!

Thread: Love my S4!

Tech Student

Default Love my S4!

Hey DJTT,

I ust wanted to thank you guys for convincing me to buy my S4 a couple weeks ago. As a beginner it was the perfect choice for me (price, usability, software, etc).

Every day I learn something new about it, though I still feel like I'm not using it to its full potential. How should I learn to use more than 2 decks at a time or make use of the sample decks? I want to create more elaborate mixes that sound both unique and full though don't really know where to start.

Thanks

-Lock

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Practice, practice, practice. Start by using one sample slot, then build on that. I usually will find a generic percussion bit from a song or one of the free samples out there and use it throughout the mix.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Practice, practice, practice.
    This. As far as I'm concerned there's no shortcut, you need to just play around with different techniques, make mistakes and learn from them. I'm sure that if I'd recorded myself back when I started I would listen to it now in horror and disbelief, but that's totally normal!

And as a side note, 4 deck mixing and sample use isn't the be-all and end-all of mixing music. There's a lot of hype about it recently, but for a beginner I'd recommend you just concentrate on mixing 2 tracks together smoothly. Work out how to use the EQs and filters effectively. Learn track phrasing. Don't be afraid to turn off sync every now and then to see what happens.

Most importantly, have fun!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Student

Thanks for the responses guys!

I've been buying interning this summer 40 hrs/week but once I head back to my university I'll have a lot more time to practice. Especially after a couple fraternity parties I'm sure I'll volunteer to DJ for

Thanks for the advice!

Question: What are your opinions on using a laptop stand (crane) and what is the correct way to cue up a song in one's headphones?

When I'm in my room with my speakers facing me I can go 1 ear with my hd-25s and listen to the track playing and listen to the cue'd up track by itself on the headphone (cue mix knob all the way to the left.) BUT when I'm elsewhere and the speakers are facing away from me (towards audience), it's hard to hear the track playing so I turn that cue mix knob to the middle. Is this correct?

Lastly, my favorite effects are beatmasher and gater. Do these really sound as cool as I think (vid related) in certain points of songs or are they just annoying. In general how often do you use effects and what are your favorite?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrzWo...feature=relmfu

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

When I'm in my room with my speakers facing me I can go 1 ear with my hd-25s and listen to the track playing and listen to the cue'd up track by itself on the headphone (cue mix knob all the way to the left.) BUT when I'm elsewhere and the speakers are facing away from me (towards audience), it's hard to hear the track playing so I turn that cue mix knob to the middle. Is this correct?
    Get a monitor speaker to sit beside you (ask nicely) - even a cheap powered one is better than nothing, but pretty essential if you're a one-ear-on one-ear-off mixer.

Hmmmm.... I though there was a search button on this forum....
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Get a monitor speaker to sit beside you (ask nicely) - even a cheap powered one is better than nothing, but pretty essential if you're a one-ear-on one-ear-off mixer.
    Can I use the rca outputs to go to a monitor while im using the TRS for the active speakers for the crowd? Or can you only use one output at a time?

inb4 search bar

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Hmmmm.... I though there was a search button on this forum....
    Oh you mods, always about the search bar

Tech Mentor

When i started djing, a friend who also is a dj for many years, made me find the bpm without the bpm counter. And also made sure i could beatmix 4/4 beats to start with. Why do this? you get the feeling of songs better (my opinion) and better at beatgridding. And ofcourse some songs do not have the beatgrid correct thru the whole song (billie jean anyone) so you will be able to sync manually=)

Quote Originally Posted by LocknLoad View Post
    Lastly, my favorite effects are beatmasher and gater. Do these really sound as cool as I think (vid related) in certain points of songs or are they just annoying. In general how often do you use effects and what are your favorite?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrzWo...feature=relmfu
    If you can get good enough to use the effects like DJPromote does in that video, then they will sound good. He has a command of the music he is playing and of the S4 and I think that is what makes it all work/ sound right.

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.