Help with my first Traktor Scratch Pro dvs set up?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with my first Traktor Scratch Pro dvs set up?

Hey everyone! I've got a few (maybe several) questions about my first Traktor Scratch Pro system.

Right now I'm looking at getting either a pair of Numark TT-200s, maybe TT-500s (if all goes well with ebay), Audio Technica AT-Lp120s, or something in that price range.

I'm also looking at a DDM4000 mixer. I know it's definitely not the best, but for now this system will just be in my home setup.
    I don't really know if I need only Scratch Duo or Pro, so if anyone can help there that'd be great, (leaning for Pro just for the fact that I won't have to upgrade in the future)

I also have 2 Mackie Mr8Mk2's and will be looking to add a Powered Monitoring Subwoofer (Probably JBL or Mackie)

TL;DR Here's the equipment checklist
    2 x TT's
    DDM400
    Mackie MR8mk2's
    Audio 6 or Audio 10 DJ

So my only concern right now is what changes should I make and how would I wire this all up? Would my monitors and subwoofer plug into the Mixer or the Audio DJ interface? Will I be able to cue headphones out of the mixer or does it ALSO plug into the Audio DJ? I would really like to have only the Mixer and TT's run into the Audio DJ and the rest hooked up to the mixer in question.

Would I have enough inputs/outputs to get this all running? Also, if anyone can suggest a better mixer in that price range, I'd be very happy! Can I use the 2 TT's to control 4 different decks?

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions so hopefully you guys can nail the coffin shut on some of these!

Big up DJTT!

just plug the ins & outs from the mixer in to the audio interface of choice.

and connect the master out on the mixer to the speakers.

and your good to go.

So the mixer CAN still handle audio? This was a big question I had and have been trying to ascertain for a while!

The soundcard just separates the decks to different channels so the setup would be - Laptop -> Audio Interface -> Mixer -> Output (headphones and sub -> speakers)

I believe that you can use 2 TTs (or even 1) to control 4 decks with deck focus, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Personally I'm not a fan of full on 4 deck layering with DVS (keeping 4 tracks in time is arduous and if you're going to sync you might as well just use a controller) and would recommend that you get a decent 2 channel mixer over the DDM (there's a reason that mixers with a comparable feature set cost several times more). But, if that's what's you really want to do, then go nuts.

The monitors are good and I can't comment on the TTs as I've never used (or even looked at) anything but 1200s.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    The soundcard just separates the decks to different channels so the setup would be - Laptop -> Audio Interface -> Mixer -> Output (headphones and sub -> speakers)

I believe that you can use 2 TTs (or even 1) to control 4 decks with deck focus, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Personally I'm not a fan of full on 4 deck layering with DVS (keeping 4 tracks in time is arduous and if you're going to sync you might as well just use a controller) and would recommend that you get a decent 2 channel mixer over the DDM (there's a reason that mixers with a comparable feature set cost several times more). But, if that's what's you really want to do, then go nuts.

The monitors are good and I can't comment on the TTs as I've never used (or even looked at) anything but 1200s.

Great input! As far as a mixer goes, what would you suggest in the 400-500 USD price range as far as a 2 channel goes? I am always up for getting used equipment if it scores me better quality as well. I guess 4 channel mixing would be a little bit much with TT's so I could just go with the Audio 6 setup?
    I think you're definitely right about that! I'll probably just throw a Reloop Contour or X1 in eventually for cuing and sample deck control!
    Last edited by Hstanford1; 08-21-2011 at 02:47 PM.

You can get a used Rane TTM-56S for under $500 on ebay if you're in the US. That'd be my top recommendation.

You could also take a look around here and see if there are other mixers that you're more interested in.

Also, I saw that the Denon DNX-600 will work as a DVS? Are there any others that will work from this product line and how is the DNX-600 quality wise?

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    You can get a used Rane TTM-56S for under $500 on ebay if you're in the US. That'd be my top recommendation.

You could also take a look around here and see if there are other mixers that you're more interested in.
    Under $500 - DAMN! anyone want to ship me one of these in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanford1 View Post
    Also, I saw that the Denon DNX-600 will work as a DVS? Are there any others that will work from this product line and how is the DNX-600 quality wise?
    The DX-600 apparently works in a slightly hooky way (i.e. you fool the software into thinking it's a DX-1600) so it's not exactly 'legit'
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Wizard

If you are looking for a decent 2 channel mixer and wanna save some cash, I can vouch for the xone:22. It's a solid mixer with a lovely filter, and if youre using traktor, I doubt you are gonna use the effects on the mixer at all.

Quote Originally Posted by thugbear2005 View Post
    If you are looking for a decent 2 channel mixer and wanna save some cash, I can vouch for the xone:22. It's a solid mixer with a lovely filter, and if youre using traktor, I doubt you are gonna use the effects on the mixer at all.
    Has this got a better crossfader than the Xone:42?

One of the bars I regularly play has a 42, and the crossfader is utterly shite if you want to scratch, it just isn't adjustable at all ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast