Songs to play at party
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Songs to play at party

Sup guys, I was wondering if anyone would love to give me a few tips or suggestion on music selection for a party that I'm playing some time next week.

It's sort of like a outdoor barbeque night with about 70-150+ participants. All the participants are students in university and the venue is an outdoor venue just next to a swimming pool, and the season in my place is around end of winter at the moment. I was thinking of playing some old hiphop tunes and probably a few mainstream pop songs as I don't think heavy tunes with heavy bass are appropriate for these kind of venues?

And is there any tips on regarding anything I should take notice before my set?
    *First time Dj-ing live*
    *Setup : traktor S4, MidiFighter Classic (If it arrives in time next week)

Cheers,
    VnS.

One really good tip is to use the forum's search function.

amidoinitrite

yeah.. top 40 from the past few years.

You have a traktor s4 and midifighter and its your first time djing out :O

/cry

No one can tell you what to play because no one knows what type of crowd it is. "students in university" says close to nothing about who you are playing to. The only way to know is to be you. Don't look for other people to teach what you need to learn from what is going to be a learning experience. Chances are that if you can't figure out what type of music you need and/or don't have the confidence in your skills as a selector, you aren't ready to play out. Sorry to be harsh, but it's the truth...

I'd recommend this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUmNmpGnKp4

and this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7dg8vRDM68

also
    Quote Originally Posted by brosephh View Post

/cry
    watchu tryna say bru

Paid? Find out what you are expected to play and play it
    Free? Play the music you're passionate about or else there is no point
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    No one can tell you what to play because no one knows what type of crowd it is. "students in university" says close to nothing about who you are playing to. The only way to know is to be you. Don't look for other people to teach what you need to learn from what is going to be a learning experience. Chances are that if you can't figure out what type of music you need and/or don't have the confidence in your skills as a selector, you aren't ready to play out. Sorry to be harsh, but it's the truth...
    cheers Sobi for the headsup. It's really helpful. I know that I might not be confident to play infront of the crowd but I still want to take up the challenge to play live rather than sitting in my room all day long without any live experience. The problem is the theme/venue of the set is a multicultural night with barbeque food and not a club or pub environment its in an open air environment.

Oh, also thanks to everyone who has replied to my post it was really helpful both in helping me to ready myself. I'm still new to the DJ-ing so do spare me a few flames :P or give me ur best

I got about 50+ tracks ready but I'm still looking for more from any suggestion to play as I feel that ''heavy'' songs would not fit the venue.

cheers,
    VnS
    Last edited by VnS; 08-21-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VnS View Post
    cheers Sobi for the headsup. It's really helpful. I know that I might not be confident to play infront of the crowd but I still want to take up the challenge to play live rather than sitting in my room all day long without any live experience. The problem is the theme/venue of the set is a multicultural night with barbeque food and not a club or pub environment its in an open air environment.

I got about 50+ tracks ready but I'm still looking for more from any suggestion to play as I feel that ''heavy'' songs would not fit the venue.

cheers,
    VnS
    If thats the case i would just play it safe and just play top 40 as someone earlier suggested, especially if they are university students, but have other genres ready to go if the crowd isn't feeling the vibe

Quote Originally Posted by brosephh View Post

/cry
    ...yep

Money doesn't make you a good DJ people

Just download a ton of top 40 and deadmau5. Mix them together, rinse and repeat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast