Beatport track keys vs Mixed in key
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Beatport track keys vs Mixed in key

I was messing around and compared 30 tracks between them and 6 matched.
    Some weren't too bad, MIK would say the track is in A Minor where Beatport would say it's A Major.
    Just wondering which one you would go by.

I'm pretty sure Beatport's keys are specified by the artist. Can't say for sure though because it's been a while.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Hmm this is interesting as they both come from "reputable places"

I'm keen to know who to believe....
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Beatport analyzes them, but I don't know with what. It's also crowd sourced so if they get several reports that one is wrong they'll change it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

MIK has been around for several years, pefecting their algorithm.
    BP still does not write the key to the mp3 tags, and when asked why, they say it it because they are still working on the algorihythm. (source: beatportal faq if i remember correctly).

So trust mik over bp for now, but hopefully bp will become good enough and write them to tags so we dob't need mik.

Tech Mentor

MIK is FAR from perfect. Grab a keyboard and learn to key by ear. It is not that hard.. I tried doing it for a bit, but realized my mixes were WAY better when I was not relying on a key to put two tracks together.

I used to detect keys with RapidEvolution, back when an article on DJTT put it slightly above MIK in terms of success rate. RE was wrong often enough that it became faster to just fire up RE for its piano w/chords and manually find keys

One of the first batches of tracks I purchased off the new beatport was mostly Am/A#m, and that kinda struck me, so obviously I double checked the keys during the usual re-tagging routine. It turned out their analysis wasn't THAT far off - most of these tunes were actually in compatible keys, for instance D#m or Fm instead of A#m.

What's more obvious though is the major/minor thing - that seemed to be wrong on most of the tracks (the vast majority of my house/techno is minor)

im guessing that consistency is more likely to yield useful mixes. e.g. a track "10A in mixed in key" is almost always going to mix in well to a "9A, 10A, 11A or 10B in mixed in key".

i have no real reason to believe this. but this is the internet, so I might as well just proclaim it as fact. BOO YA.

p.s. I use mixed in key a lot and using the camelot system with MIK i haven't had any train wreck clashes in key

Tech Mentor

i just bought mixed in key ... waste of money it is then.. no?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast