Just starting out, need some help

Default Just starting out, need some help

Hello everyone, I am interested in getting into digital DJing and I'm kinda torn between two controllers right now, the Akai APC 40 and the Novation Twitch. The Akai is about half the price of the Twitch and I'm not sure if I want to drop $500 on my first controller, but I feel like the Twitch is a superior piece of hardware. Also, I'm kinda worried about how the Akai will be for doing live performances like parties and things like that. I guess the real question is will the Akai be a solid enough controller to last me for a while as I'm learning to mix and doing small things like parties, or should I just go with the Twitch. Thanks in advance.

Hello, welcome, cookies for you
    You just cant' really compare the two: one was specifically designed to work with ableton, the other has an integrated soundcard and was thought to control a dj software (that comes free as a bundle with the hardware).

Do you need a software to mix? Which one?
    Do you need a soundcard?
    Are you ready to make some effort to learn midi mapping?
    Are you interested in production? Did you mix before? what's your experience? Do you already own gear of any type?

but I feel like the Twitch is a superior piece of hardware.
    what does that mean? On what criteria?

I'm sure if you could provide us with some more details you'll get more precise feedback to help you choose.

get something simple like a Numark Stealth and the Audio 2 soundcard and TP2 and work on getting good. twitch is for advanced users, it may seem like a good idea to get something advanced now but when your sitting in front of it with traktor open, youll get overwhelmed. starting with basics and working up is best. for the price of twitch you can get a small controller like the Stealth and pair it with an X1 and the soundcard. and that would make a winning setup that can last a while. and once you outgrow the Stealth, the X1 will still be useful because i really doubt you can outgrow an X1
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    Hello, welcome, cookies for you
    You just cant' really compare the two: one was specifically designed to work with ableton, the other has an integrated soundcard and was thought to control a dj software (that comes free as a bundle with the hardware).

Do you need a software to mix? Which one?
    Do you need a soundcard?
    Are you ready to make some effort to learn midi mapping?
    Are you interested in production? Did you mix before? what's your experience? Do you already own gear of any type?

what does that mean? On what criteria?

I'm sure if you could provide us with some more details you'll get more precise feedback to help you choose.
    1. I would need software to mix with, i was hoping to use either traktor or ableton. but itch 2.0 doesnt seem that bad either.
    2. Yes i would need a soundcard
    3. i would definitely be prepared to put in so time and effort to learn some midi mapping, although if I did get the apc 40 I would probably just stick to ableton
    4. yes i am interested in eventually getting into production. I havent really mixed before besides just messing around in traktor a little bit so I really dont hav that much experience.

@ranzerox: how crucial is the sound card? I know some controllers have an integrated sound card, so would I be better off to just get one with a card or go for something like the stealth and have to buy an additional soundcard?