Ableton/Launchpad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Ableton/Launchpad

Hi everyone,

I have a question for anyone who can help me.
    I'm a dj for allmost 5 years, played at some small parties, mostly for friends.
    I got an idea in my head after seeing Pop Culture by Madeon that i want to get more creative with music, making my own tunes and combining it with what i do now.

My question then is: How do i get started?
    I saw the launchpad and how it works with ableton and it seems like a great way to start. Am i right about this? Is it to difficult to start with and should i try something else first?
    Give me your opinion!

Thx!

Its a good entry point to the world of ableton.

I started this way because the launchpad come with an entry version of Ableton.
    In my opinion Ableton is not great for DJing with, or should I say not the best for how I prefer to DJ, loads of people love it to dj with.

I have started producing tracks with the software and the launchpad is a cool way of triggering clips and in user 1 mode playing drums. With the full version of ableton you can use a plugin called max for live which enables you to use it as a step sequencer.

If your a mac owner you can sync traktor to ableton pretty easily and have fun using both the programs at the same time. It can be done using PC but its a bit of a ball ache and needs something such as midi ox, and a pretty powerful pc.

All in, its very early days but im loving the launchpad and ableton.

Tech Mentor

usb 1.1 works fine ?

Get yours hands on a book called "Ableton Live 8 Power" and read it from cover to cover. That'll give you a nice introduction to Ableton and its usage.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Ableton isn't great for DJ'ing, but it's probably the best DAW to use for DJ'ing.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

First of all, thx for the quick response.
    I'm kinda new to all this so i will take your advice and read that book.
    Ok not great for dj'ing but that's not really the main goal i'm after, producing my own tracks is.

BFLY said:

''I have started producing tracks with the software and the launchpad is a cool way of triggering clips and in user 1 mode playing drums. With the full version of ableton you can use a plugin called max for live which enables you to use it as a step sequencer.''

Can you clarify that plz? (I'm new to this world )
    I've only worked with actual cdplayers and turntables and have no experience in making my own tracks.

Did you mean that the launchpad comes with a version where you can make your own tracks using samples and the launchpad.
    And that with the full version you can use your launchpad for more stuff like filters etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michielygil View Post
    Get yours hands on a book called "Ableton Live 8 Power" and read it from cover to cover. That'll give you a nice introduction to Ableton and its usage.
    I own this book. Although I don't use Ableton anymore, I found this book to be an absolute amazing entry level experience. +1 for this

Quote Originally Posted by Salires View Post
    First of all, thx for the quick response.
    I'm kinda new to all this so i will take your advice and read that book.
    Ok not great for dj'ing but that's not really the main goal i'm after, producing my own tracks is.

BFLY said:

''I have started producing tracks with the software and the launchpad is a cool way of triggering clips and in user 1 mode playing drums. With the full version of ableton you can use a plugin called max for live which enables you to use it as a step sequencer.''

Can you clarify that plz? (I'm new to this world )
    I've only worked with actual cdplayers and turntables and have no experience in making my own tracks.

Did you mean that the launchpad comes with a version where you can make your own tracks using samples and the launchpad.
    And that with the full version you can use your launchpad for more stuff like filters etc ?
    Yes the Launchpad comes with A Version of Ableton called the 'Launchpad Edition', you can use this to create your own music or play pre recorded or created music loops (known as triggering clips)

The full version just lets you use more of abletons built in features.

All the Launchpad is is a Midi Controller that lets you interact with Ableton

Hope this helps

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by BFLY View Post

Hope this helps
    yea yea yea i know i'm still a newbie
    You gotta start somewhere

thx for the responses.. been helpfull ^^

I have a Launchpad and it's a great tool for working in Ableton. Makes triggering multiple clips at once way easier.

But I don't like Ableton for DJing. It's not as suited to on the fly mixing as Traktor. Just my opinion.

The Launchpad mapped to Traktor is a fun and cool looking DJ controller.

You have to realize that what you saw Madeon do in his Pop Culture video required hours and hours of set-up and practice, all for three minutes of music. Yes, it was awesome, but its not exactly like throwing a few songs on the decks like you can with a more DJ oriented set-up.

These classic Moldover videos explain how he uses Ableton to do live mashup sets. His compositions are a little less complicated than Madeon's, but still requires everything to be setup in advance and leaves you with less room to play whatever songs you (or everyone else) are feeling at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2McDeSKiOU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dznjQIarboY

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast