typical new guy needing help :)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default typical new guy needing help :)

hey guys whats happening!

im keen on getting inolved with digital mixing but dont know the first thing about getting there, by the looks of things ive came to the right place

With some help i just wanna put together a check list of stuff to get and yes there is a budget

1. decks; from what ive seen the numark ndx 800's look spot on for me as they have a MIDI controller and have usb and cd inputs ?

2. software; ive been told serato is what i want but apparently it doesnt work with the numark ndx 800's so what software ?

3. mixer; will any mixer do for digital mixing or do you have to get specific models ?

4. laptop ? i have a laptop but its nothing special so im gussing i need a sound card of some sort ?

5. is there anything else i need before starting up ?

i hope you can help me out in your spare time and cant wait to get mixing again !

thanks
    tom

Get yourself an x1 that comes with TP2, I think the offer is still going but you're gonna have to be quick.

That should get you going, then you can add a soundcard, mixer etc
    If you want to stick with it
    2x Technics 1200's - Xone 92 -
    MidiFighter Classic x2 - TSP2 - Audio 10 - Black MacBook

Tech Wizard

been looking through peoples set ups and i really dont want one of those midi controllers i wanna be more hands on because i enjoyed mixing with vinyl, thats why i think the ndx 800's are what i need i just dont have a clue about the sound cards and wether traktor works with these models after being told serato doesnt.
    cheers

1: Im sure a few users on here have NDX800s and like them, have you looked at used pioneers? much easier to get ahold of/fix/sell on again (or you can keep your turntables?)
    2: If regular mixing is for you and you dont like a sync button (Like me) then serato is for you.
    3: Any mixer will do really.
    4: Aslong as the laptop your using isnt subject to crashes all the time your one will be fine as long as you dont abuse effects or anything
    5: Youll need a soundcard, If your using serato then youll need an SSL soundcard, SL1 or SL2 for 2 Deck, The SL2 is much superior build wise and sound ouput wise though.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

If you're set on mixing with vinyl (and from what I understand have done so before), your best bet might be a set of decks (I'll let others recommend good models, I don't know much about the alternatives to Technics) with a Rane TTM-57SL mixer. It's an excellent mixer with a built in Serato Scratch Live certified interface (you need certified Rane hardware to use Scratch Live). There are of course Traktor based alternatives.

Re. a laptop, I have a macbook pro and love it, it's never let me down, but I'm sure there will be people with PC suggestions which will work just as well.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Audio 2, pair of headphones and a mouse. I started out like that but without the soundcard lol
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    1: Im sure a few users on here have NDX800s and like them, have you looked at used pioneers? much easier to get ahold of/fix/sell on again (or you can keep your turntables?)
    2: If regular mixing is for you and you dont like a sync button (Like me) then serato is for you.
    3: Any mixer will do really.
    4: Aslong as the laptop your using isnt subject to crashes all the time your one will be fine as long as you dont abuse effects or anything
    5: Youll need a soundcard, If your using serato then youll need an SSL soundcard, SL1 or SL2 for 2 Deck, The SL2 is much superior build wise and sound ouput wise though.
    just what i was after mate ! I think the pioneer models are a bit out of my budget range, so is there no possible way to link the numark ndx 800's up with serato ?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TPike View Post
    there no possible way to link the numark ndx 800's up with serato ?
    If you use the Serato Noisemap CD then you can use them with SSL no problem, but you won't be able to use any of their on board FX or anything like that. The advantage of the high end Pioneer CDJs (900s and 2000s) when used with SSL is that they are natively supported, meaning that you can use them as controllers with no timecode CD and the track info and waveform load onto the CDJ's screen.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    If you use the Serato Noisemap CD then you can use them with SSL no problem, but you won't be able to use any of their on board FX or anything like that. The advantage of the high end Pioneer CDJs (900s and 2000s) when used with SSL is that they are natively supported, meaning that you can use them as controllers with no timecode CD and the track info and waveform load onto the CDJ's screen.
    hmm so would it really be worth using serato then because i can pretty much rule the pioneers out of the equation and not being able to use the software for all its uses seems like a bit of a waste ?

Oh you could use everything in the software, I'm just saying that the NDXs would only do pitch and play/pause functions, nothing else. Like a standard TT. I believe the NDXs have some onboard FX, which wouldn't work with timecode.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast