NS6 First Impressions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default NS6 First Impressions

Hi guys,

I picked up a new ns6 4 hours ago.. just thought i'd share the first impressions.

Wow.. This is insane. The platters just feel right for once.. This is why I got the Ns instead of the S4... the s4's jogs were flat out terrible and the pressure activation was even worse...

Sound quality is ridiculously awesome!

Definitely something more focused on Dj'ing for mixing and scratching instead of controllerism, but I actually like that..

Completely feature loaded... i'm shocked...

Review coming later

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

Just picked this up also.

It really is the closest thing to real turntables without being gimmicky.

This thing is feature rich for under $1k its really impressive.

My other option was the DDJ but the platters felt too stiff and "gritty" for my tastes.

My only complaint is the Platters move too easily when I take my finger off. Makes doing tight scratch tricks a little difficult. If I could figure out a way to mod them to be just a small amount stiffer they'd be perfect.

This helps me understand why the NS7 having the moving platters is soo important.

I gotta say scratching on this thing is awesome.

If I can't scratch on it I'll get bored of it quick and want to return to my real tables.

This hardware really has a lot going for it for scratch djs.

It's the PERFECT size your hands aren't jammed into a tiny area you can easily work the platters and the crossfader with adult sized hands/arms.

The platters have a heavy weight that I think matches a slipping record very nicely.

Immediately when I touched the platters for the first time it felt "right". Unlike with the DDJ where I wondered if maybe the platters were damaged.

Also when you move the platter for a scratch movement it moves the track an amount that makes sense hiding the fact the platter is smaller than a full size one.

A great side affect of no needles is you can really pound on the "turntable" while scratching without fear of the needle skipping or picking up noise.

4 tables for layering sounds, 5 cue points (or more depending on how u setup the 4 tables) You can also layer multiple effects! It's too bad Itch has very few effects.

They are offering a free "high-quality D-Type Digital Fader" upgrade on the NS6 website.
    Last edited by MarkMcPain; 09-06-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Tech Mentor

In addition to that.. The jogs are insanely high res.. 3600 ticks per revolution.. that's 10 ticks per degree... flat out insane. I totally agree with it feeling just right... I was coming in there to buy an s4.. but the jogs were downright pathetic, being pressure activated and all.

The DDJ-S1 is going for the same price as the NS6 now. However, it sort of drags down the itch label. When you get used to it, Itch 2.0 is far from rudimentary Dj software.
    The NS6 makes full use of it.
    The DDJ... well... doesn't.

Bottom of the line? NS6. Win
    DDJ. Fail

I went in looking for the DDJ and I had to ask the guy if it was broken.

I've never used CDJs but he explained that's how they feel and that they are loved by most.

Have you seen this review on the NS6? Very indepth.

http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/ns6.php

I also picked up a NS6 on Friday over Guitar Center for their Labor Day sale. I came from a VCI-300 MK2, which I liked alot but wanted a little more freedom. The jogs are the NS6 are very well built. the whole thing is built like tank top notch qulaity far from toy like.

Hahaha I also thought something was up with the jogs on the Pioneer series, & then proceeded over to the CDJs & they felt the same way. I thought to myself this is industry standard, pretty crappy especially for the price tag that Pioneer nails to it. Everything is intergrated very well into the NS6, & feels like one of the best purchases I have made yet.

I had considered the S4 at one point but once I got to Guitar Center I didn't like the short throw faders, and pitch control. The platters were also a little too small and didnt like the way they engage for scratch mode (button like) instead of pressure sensitive like the VCI-300, & NS6. I feel like the NS6 is going to be around with for awhile in my studio and out performing.

Side note....& yes the Skratchworx review was very in depth and spot on about the unit.

Are you guys using it with Traktor or with Itch? As a Traktor user, I'm sorta torn between this one and the Denon MC-6000 when the time comes to upgrade (I want something with a built-in mixer and lots of nice outputs)

Itch 2.0 ...

Tech Mentor

I use Itch 2.0... It's simply amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by mart21har View Post
    Hi guys,

I picked up a new ns6 4 hours ago.. just thought i'd share the first impressions.

Wow.. This is insane. The platters just feel right for once.. This is why I got the Ns instead of the S4... the s4's jogs were flat out terrible and the pressure activation was even worse...

Sound quality is ridiculously awesome!

Definitely something more focused on Dj'ing for mixing and scratching instead of controllerism, but I actually like that..

Completely feature loaded... i'm shocked...

Review coming later
    New shiny gear hype. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast