Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default my first 10 min dubstep (ish) mix

what you think???????

rizzle kicks - down with the trumpets
    diplo - pick your poison
    wanted - glad you came
    nero - promises
    Last edited by kermit; 08-28-2011 at 04:22 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    what you think???????
    Here's my thoughts :

- I think you should never post a mix anywhere asking for feedback and call it your "first" mix. Phrasing it this way is practically begging people to assume it is of very low quality and should not be listened to.

- I think you should probably not describe your mix as "ish" ... why be wishy-washy? Own it!

- I think, despite recent trolling to this effect, that most people do actually prefer a mix that is a bit longer than 10 minutes. At least 30 minutes... including myself!

- I think that when people read a tracklist and you embed the soundcloud properly so there is a player in the post, they are more likely to click through, listen and give you feedback.

I will try to post some actual thoughts about your MIX later. ;D
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

1 dubstep song is now a dubstep mix...k

fixed your link kermit. tracklist please.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Banned

Why only 10mins? What's the point?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Why only 10mins? What's the point?

from my own prefference i get bored when a mix is an hour long etc unless im doing somthing while its on in the back ground also i didnt have much time last night and agree next time i will do a longer mix.
    Last edited by kermit; 08-28-2011 at 04:33 AM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by seitz View Post
    1 dubstep song is now a dubstep mix...k
    i no its not a true dubstep mix but i didnnt no what to call it.

Tech Convert

has anyone got any feedback on the mix itself?

Tech Mentor

Honestly, nobody is going to improve their skill when all anyone has to say about their work is that it's "too short". Believe it or not, an hour long mix is HARD to make - for anyone let alone a beginner. It also takes a fuck of a lot of time. Nobody is going to get better in their bedrooms with no reality checks or constructive feedback, a short mix is a perfect way to get the feedback you need so that you'll improve in a club, you know, the places where most people go to dance and hear new music, remember the places outside the computer screen, the real world.

I've been booked for 15 minute slots in between bands at festivals before now, so, again, this kind of succinct mixing is important for that too.

Okay your mix. The beatmatching was on point. The phrase matching was inventive, it wasn't always technically correct but you did it wrong in a good way (if you know what I mean). At around 5 mins there was quite a hefty soundclash (i.e. the keys of the two songs didn't sound very good together), if I really wanted to mix those two tunes together I would have taken the bass and a wee bit of the mids out of the outgoing track at that point to take out as many clashing frequencies as possible. The energy of the mix could have been better. In a short mix like this I would have liked to have heard a steady increase in energy, maybe a bpm increase? The final tune was a bit of an anti-climax for me. I really wanted to hear something with a jungle break-beat type feel. Something like Cassius - I love you so (Skream Remix). - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVgGte6vlic - The tune's at 147 but I mixed the intro in to a 140bpm Dubstep tune the other night and then just increased the tempo in the breakdown and it went off a lot. People dancing, spilling their drinks and shaking your hand. That's what this kind of music is all about, not the length of your set.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Max Jones View Post
    Believe it or not, an hour long mix is HARD to make - for anyone let alone a beginner. It also takes a fuck of a lot of time.
    No it doesn't and no it's not.

Oddly enough, it's takes an hour to do an hour long mix. And it's no harder than doing a 10min mix, you just do it 6 times in a row.

I don't understand why people are afraid to do longer mixes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast