Idea copyrights, need legal idea/advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Idea copyrights, need legal idea/advice

Hi all,

I've had this cool idea for 2 years now but haven't got time/will to materialize it.
    Now, I'm thinking about going public with it and ask for community's help but what I'm really worried about is some company stealing it.

Can anyone please help me and advise how to make sure the idea is registered in some way but to avoid patent mish-mash as we all know, patent system is broken.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

You are describing a tool that you need which is called a Patent. If you don't want to use the patent system and you make a product, expect anyone to mimic it in case it's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    You are describing a tool that you need which is called a Patent. If you don't want to use the patent system and you make a product, expect anyone to mimic it in case it's a good idea.
    +1.

This man speaks the truth.

Copyright is for design/shape/text. It's automatically active the moment you create something. So, If you write an article on your blog, the text is copyrighted to protect your work. This can only happen with something you have created/produced.

Patents are designed to protect ideas, and in theory should prove you are able to build something. They cost a lot, and make the system you invented publicly available, but protected by law for a period of time. They are there to ensure the inventor has a period of time to make money, before the patent becomes public domain.

Both patents and copyright have ridiculously long protection eras these days. To give you perspective, Disney's Mickey Mouse is STILL under copyright after 90 odd years!

The issues with patents and copyright are a whole other post!
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

put it all down on paper, hire a lawyer, both of you sign and date it. and place it in the lawyers safe. then in the event it's need. voila! proof it was yours.

or just get the patent

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    Copyright is for design/shape/text. It's automatically active the moment you create something. So, If you write an article on your blog, the text is copyrighted to protect your work. This can only happen with something you have created/produced.

Patents are designed to protect ideas, and in theory should prove you are able to build something. They cost a lot, and make the system you invented publicly available, but protected by law for a period of time. They are there to ensure the inventor has a period of time to make money, before the patent becomes public domain.

Both patents and copyright have ridiculously long protection eras these days. To give you perspective, Disney's Mickey Mouse is STILL under copyright after 90 odd years!

The issues with patents and copyright are a whole other post!
    This.

Note also that usually ideas are cheap - everybody has lots of great ideas and it is easy to come up with more. Execution and realization of ideas is what makes them valuable.

For example, Friendster came up with the idea of social networks long before Facebook did, but Facebook executed better and is now worth billions, while Friendster is dead.

Having said that, if you truely believe that the idea is worth it, then patent it. If you never implement the idea though, please don't lock others who have the same idea out by protecting it - only do this if you genuinely plan on implementing it in the reasonably near future, just that you can't do it right now. Too much innovation has been lost (especially in software) because things get patented by people who have no intention of actually using them for something other than sueing people who "infringe".

Tech Guru

whats your idea and I might be able to help you patent it
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You need a patent lawyer.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Thanks for the quality info. I forgot to describe my idea, sorry for that, it was quite late when I made the post.

Basically the idea is something along the lines of those two that surfaced few months ago:

- how to make DVS more simple/open/available to broader audience

I really enjoyed both the "iPhone gyroscope" and "hacked bluetooth headset" solution but I think my idea is more DIY friendly and still does not require special vinyl and soundcard with PHONO inputs.
    I'm not planning on making a commercial product out of it and that is the main reason I'd hate to see someone stealing it and making money out of it.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

Tech Guru

im not sure how this may work if you are using an idea already out, the people that made the iphone, bluetooth versions.... there is some loophole against using other peoples products to try and patent, if you use an iphone expect apple to get lawyers etc..
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast