Nicoga's Electrohouse and Dutch Improv Mix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nicoga's Electrohouse and Dutch Improv Mix

I've been at this for just over 2 weeks now, and I must say, it's been one of the most exciting adventures I've ever been on! Since putting together my first "planned mix" about a week and a half ago, I've been doing improv mixes. I pretty much pick the first two songs and get some cue points ready, and go. No planning for anything else. It gives me a great chance to explore my music collection and get used to a more real world experience.

I won't delve into the details, but I will say - it's very upbeat and exciting! Moving through my collection, trying to find a track, cue it up, and set some cue points, all in about 15-20 seconds is a rush, haha. So the track list for this mix can be found below. Again, nothing is planned!

I will say, I am THRILLED with how Mozart Di Figar had a sound clip of "House Music" right after I played House Music. I laughed, and totally had NO idea it was coming. A+

Overall, I'm happy with how the transitions went. There were two around a third of the way through...It's during the NES sound tune...I was getting so into the music that I sort of forgot to prepare a good cue point. This pretty much resulted in me EQ/filter/instadropping the next track. It was neat that it at least worked to some extent! Sorry about (some) of the levels getting a bit high - I'm getting used to my new setup and the levels weren't what I expected!

Thanks for listening, and enjoy!

~Track list~

Move It 2 The Drum - (Chris Kaeser Remix) - Ambush, Chuckie, Hardwell
    Low Battery (Original Mix) - Gregori Klosman
    Booster - (Original Mix) - Simon Gain, Joey Seminara
    Runark (His Majesty Andre Growl Remix) - Congorock
    Reflections (Disco Reason Remix) - Antoine Lavenant
    My Paradise (DJ Scotty Remix) - Topmodelz
    Sexy Bitch (Royal K Mighty Remix) - David Guetta ft. Akon
    What U Think (Original Mix) - DirtyloudExodus - Congorock
    House Music - Benny Benassi
    Mozart Di Figar (Original Mix) - Cool Project
    Dance (Original Mix) - Spencer & Hill

Banned

Why is the mix only a little under 25 minutes?

Haha because it was improv, and I decided I was done. But outside of the length of the mix, did you have anything to say about the mix itself?

the lengths fine man, a lot of people won't listen any longer than that anyways.

"I've been at this for just over 2 weeks now, and I must say, it's been one of the most exciting adventures I've ever been on!"

its great to see your really enjoy yourself (thats what its all about) and for 2 weeks experience this is a pretty deece mix. keep it up man
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

@IznremiX - Thanks. Any tips to make it better? Any tips I can get to make myself better are always welcome!

Did you add additional compression to the mix?

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Did you add additional compression to the mix?
    No, but I just read an article about setting the master output control down. I have never really looked into that, though. Why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by nicoga3000 View Post
    @IznremiX - Thanks. Any tips to make it better? Any tips I can get to make myself better are always welcome!
    you were a tad off beat at times, but practice will help that. when your mixing the intro of one song into another song, have the high and low eq all the way down on the song you bring it in. This helps cover up small beat matching mistakes and makes your mix more smooth overall (especially on a bigger system).

A good way to transition using this method is by swapping the highs and lows. This means that (preferably on the one count of the beginning of a phrase (which is is 4 BARS)) you turn one of the eqs of the track coming in up to normal or a little higher, while taking the eq of the track already playing down to 0 (or all the way to the left).

Its usually smoother if your swap your lowest eq first, and then swap your highs on the next phrase.

sorry for the novel and i hope that helps

"No, but I just read an article about setting the master output control down. I have never really looked into that, though. Why do you ask? "

Some people do whats called mastering their mix. theres a thread on this, you can decide if you want to do it, but i personally would not worry about it.

Aye, I guess I could master the track, but I'm not sure I want to bother with it right now. I'm going for 100% untouched mixing right now, since that's more of a "real world live" situation.

And thanks for the tips. I've been trying to get a better feel for EQ mixing after watching a live cast of Laidback Luke. I noticed how much he uses EQ's to swap tracks, and since then, I've been on a mission to figure it out! I think I managed to do it pretty well a few times in that mix, but other times, I def should have dropped the mid or the high more! Woops...

Regarding beat matching, I think I felt a few times where I was a bit off, yeah. I'm avoiding the sync button like the plague on my S4, haha. I mean, I could use it to make my life easier I guess, but where's the fun?! I do, however, keep snap and quantize on most of the time, as it makes cue point juggling less sloppy. I turn them off when I'm going to try and get a bit more creative with my cues and hits, though! :P All in due time I guess.

I also noticed that since I'm picking tracks and setting cues on the fly, I sometimes don't cue up in the right spot of a phrase, haha. That's something I can't really correct on the fly - I sort of have to just roll with it. :P

Thanks again for the tips!

"I'm avoiding the sync button like the plague on my S4, haha. I mean, I could use it to make my life easier I guess, but where's the fun?!"

theres a lot of fun in sync if you use it creatively
    i hit sync quite a bit, check out the mix in my siggy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast