"I Suck At Relationships" My first mix! Everything I learned.

Default "I Suck At Relationships" My first mix! Everything I learned.

I love this forum. It's thought me so much valuable information and was great in helping me figure out what to do. I've been planning this mix for a while... thinking about energy, track selections, etc.

well without further ado.

I actually split the mix into three and I labeled each one based on stages of a relationship I'm sure you guys have had. pretty cheesy but this is something I was trying to go for not just banger after banger. there are parts where I messed up such as beatmatching (i'm usign CDJs.....) and phrasing but making a thirty minute mix is pretty time consuming so please forgive me

you can download each section here... track lists included....

That Joyride (Mix 01)

That Breakup (Mix 02)

That New New (Mix 03)

thanks for listening and any feedback is greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Kiino; 08-29-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

On it! as you would expect. not going to check the tracklist till im finished
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Tech Mentor

I listened to your mix while tidying up around the house. Here's my feedback.

- Thanks for the details in the post and download link, but I would have appreciated a tracklist in this post as well, so I don't have to click through to soundcloud.

- I like the intro track, pretty "intro-y", though you get right into about a "7" in terms of energy right away.

- The first mix sounds good to me, appropriate transition. "7" to an "8".

- Second mix you bring in the new track a bit loud, but it's exciting and almost forgivable. "8" to a "9".

- Nice drop on the "fuckin down" mix. But 3 tracks in a row by the same artist? Weird...

- In general you seem to be mixing very quickly. It's appropriate for this kind of music but sometimes I think you rush your phrasing a bit by doing so, like on the mix into "space banana".

- You also seem to be generally mixing in pretty loud instead of gradually bringing tracks in. This is probably also somewhat a side effect of mixing quickly.

- Ok, now I'm confused. Your tracklist seems to be wrong, because the track you have listed as track 2 is what is playing now.

- You messed up the A Milli remix mix a bit, which I'm sure you know, but I think it was too quick after the previous track and probably not a great choice to blend. I also HATE tracks that sample really current tracks like this, which is not your fault.

- A track comes on and I kinda wish I knew who it was, but I don't trust your tracklist anymore. Bleh.

- 8:36 An interesting mix into the middle of a breakdown/build, pretty exciting but a bit off. We are definitely at a 10 by now for energy.

- I guess this is "Pokay" by Ton!c, which is pretty damn bangin.

- Pretty exciting phrasing on the mix out of it, but again you bring in the new record close to full volume and it sounds a little too abrupt.

- I like that this (afrojack?) track seems to be taking it down a little bit, cruising back down to an 8 or so..

- 10:55 still mixing and you seem to have both basses playing at once. LOUD.

- 11:10 neat, a vocal! good place for one.. I guess this is still afrojack?

- 12 minutes and change, a roughish mix which you correct fast enough that nobody would notice in the club.

- 12:40 - boy this style of music has a lot of breakdowns, builds and drops.

- 13 minutes, enjoying the groove back down around a "7" for energy.

- I look at the tracklist for the second "track" and get confused. It's three parts and one of them is only two songs?

- We are cruising back down to a 6/7 on this next mix, getting a bit deeper and I can appreciate that at this appx midway through the mix point.

- I leave the room with the computer in at this point, but you cruise back downa bit and then build back up with a vocal about wanting to lay every girl. I guess I'm seeing the theme? I return to leave this comment at about 22 minutes, where it picks back up to an 8 again.

- In general all of your tracks blend well harmonically, so even when you make a roughish mix, things sound good.

- "Beautiful Girls" remix. Alright, more of the vibe/theme.

- 25 minutes, getting pretty progressive/epic... seems reasonable considering the mix is almost over.. getting in your last epic shots..

- This track has a synth line that sounds like "sandstorm" by darude. I feel old.

- I wander away for the keyboard for the last few minutes of your mix, but it seems like instead of winding things down, you bring up the energy a bit again. I would have liked to see you rinse the steady progression downwards and out.

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Great review Awesomer

I enjoyed all ya track selections & am on my second listen with the words of wisdom from our local djtt reviewer Awesomer in mind.

I see you included a couple of my recomendations in there Kiino

not much else to say as Awesomer has done to good a job at that

Take it on board and keep sharing.

Its a catch 22 really, as not only do I get to enjoy your mix, but learn from it with the 10/10 review
    Last edited by Zaniac; 08-29-2011 at 07:25 PM.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomer View Post
    I listened to your mix while tidying up around the house. Here's my feedback.

- Thanks for the details in the post and download link, but I would have appreciated a tracklist in this post as well, so I don't have to click through to soundcloud.

- I like the intro track, pretty "intro-y", though you get right into about a "7" in terms of energy right away.

- The first mix sounds good to me, appropriate transition. "7" to an "8".

- Second mix you bring in the new track a bit loud, but it's exciting and almost forgivable. "8" to a "9".

- Nice drop on the "fuckin down" mix. But 3 tracks in a row by the same artist? Weird...

- In general you seem to be mixing very quickly. It's appropriate for this kind of music but sometimes I think you rush your phrasing a bit by doing so, like on the mix into "space banana".

- You also seem to be generally mixing in pretty loud instead of gradually bringing tracks in. This is probably also somewhat a side effect of mixing quickly.

- Ok, now I'm confused. Your tracklist seems to be wrong, because the track you have listed as track 2 is what is playing now.

- You messed up the A Milli remix mix a bit, which I'm sure you know, but I think it was too quick after the previous track and probably not a great choice to blend. I also HATE tracks that sample really current tracks like this, which is not your fault.

- A track comes on and I kinda wish I knew who it was, but I don't trust your tracklist anymore. Bleh.

- 8:36 An interesting mix into the middle of a breakdown/build, pretty exciting but a bit off. We are definitely at a 10 by now for energy.

- I guess this is "Pokay" by Ton!c, which is pretty damn bangin.

- Pretty exciting phrasing on the mix out of it, but again you bring in the new record close to full volume and it sounds a little too abrupt.

- I like that this (afrojack?) track seems to be taking it down a little bit, cruising back down to an 8 or so..

- 10:55 still mixing and you seem to have both basses playing at once. LOUD.

- 11:10 neat, a vocal! good place for one.. I guess this is still afrojack?

- 12 minutes and change, a roughish mix which you correct fast enough that nobody would notice in the club.

- 12:40 - boy this style of music has a lot of breakdowns, builds and drops.

- 13 minutes, enjoying the groove back down around a "7" for energy.

- I look at the tracklist for the second "track" and get confused. It's three parts and one of them is only two songs?

- We are cruising back down to a 6/7 on this next mix, getting a bit deeper and I can appreciate that at this appx midway through the mix point.

- I leave the room with the computer in at this point, but you cruise back downa bit and then build back up with a vocal about wanting to lay every girl. I guess I'm seeing the theme? I return to leave this comment at about 22 minutes, where it picks back up to an 8 again.

- In general all of your tracks blend well harmonically, so even when you make a roughish mix, things sound good.

- "Beautiful Girls" remix. Alright, more of the vibe/theme.

- 25 minutes, getting pretty progressive/epic... seems reasonable considering the mix is almost over.. getting in your last epic shots..

- This track has a synth line that sounds like "sandstorm" by darude. I feel old.

- I wander away for the keyboard for the last few minutes of your mix, but it seems like instead of winding things down, you bring up the energy a bit again. I would have liked to see you rinse the steady progression downwards and out.

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!
    awesomer, I can't tell you enough how helpful this feedback was. thanks.

I get what your saying on the track listings. i fixed in and I renamed them to mixes. what I meant was when you clicked the link it would show the tracks in that section of the mix. I agree, I must be mixing fast but I guess I'm trying to showcase a tight solid mix instead of a long one; although I obviously messed up on some parts. Your right on the energy level, I should extend the energy troughout on a longer time frame. On the last note, I decided to end with a banger just because I like Low Battery ... yes that sandstorm synth haha. Yea I have beatunes to help me with mixing in key. thanks, I'm glad you liked my mix. I'm still trying to figure out good equin' its pretty fun getting that feeling that a beat change is comin up and swapping those eqs haha. gotta keep practicing I guess

I agree with you Zaniac. great feedback by awesomer. also, yes those tracks are GOLD! haha.
    Last edited by Kiino; 08-29-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud