Crazy lighting panel idea opinions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Crazy lighting panel idea opinions

Ok DJTT you all helped me immensely with my initial lighting purchase. But now I am trying to get something to add to my dj show to make sure i get remembered.

I found these through some digging.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnrWCLhYuTs

They are 39.5 inches by 19.75 inches. My goal is to get four of them (all hanging vertically from two lighting stands) and have them on behind me while im playing. They are all dmx compatible so I can switch them to specific settings and turn them on or off on the fly (for dramatic moods).

Once I get four it will be 6.8 feet by 3.3 feet. Do you guys think this will be big enough or even worth it? It will cost me 880 for all four from my local dj store but I think it would be a worth while investment to make sure i get noticed while i dj college dances and formals.

Any opinions/advice/product help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Tech Wizard

I think a projector screen might be more versatile. It could do similar effects and do more if you wanted. You can pick up used projectors pretty cheap nowadays. Just go to any fabric store and pick up some white spandex and you can make your own screen. That's what I did. The best part about the spandex is it works for rear or front projection, so you can adjust your setup depending on your venue.
    DVS setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DPDJ-101, Numark DXM06, Novation Dicer, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 8DJ
    Controller setup: Traktor Scratch Pro, 2 X Denon DN-SC2000, Denon DN120X, Compaq Presario F750CA, Audio 2DJ,

Tech Wizard

thank you for the reply! do you think a projector screen will be able to give off the same feel/vibe as the led panels? also how would you control the projector screen during live sets? via a video based software? thanks again!

Tech Mentor

A projector won't be the same as LED projection, check this out, Im thinking about getting one, kinda of cheap too -
    http://www.chauvetlighting.com/motiondrape-led.html

Tech Wizard

LaOnda those look awesome! with the matching facade too this could easily be my solution. Where is the cheapest you have found these? 599 seems to be the cheapest i can find and that is much better than 880, but I feel like they could be found cheaper.

Tech Mentor

599 is the cheap the cheapest I seem them, but remember you'll also need a truss system, which im not sure how much it cost , but calculate at least 200 more, but its still a good price.

Im really into visuals so Im always looking for new stuff, I've got some good lasers too for cheap, moving heads and led bars.

I might get one of these drapes soon

Tech Mentor

Have you seen the 3D LED setups?
    http://www.seekway.com.cn/e/ledsys9.htm

There's a few how to's on instructables and the arduino community for making your own if you're a bit handy like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Have you seen the 3D LED setups?
    http://www.seekway.com.cn/e/ledsys9.htm

There's a few how to's on instructables and the arduino community for making your own if you're a bit handy like that.
    But not really suitable, or even portable for a mobile-DJ

Tech Mentor

Don't see why not myself.
    A couple of cubes with your own animations and logos wouldn't be too much to transport and setup.

Tech Wizard

Hippie, the LED cubes look amazing. Unfortunately I have no idea how to go about building one or anything like that. Later on down the line that could be an option.

LaOnda you make a great point. The curtain drape is starting to add up and I feel like I would have to get the facade to get the full effect (I don't like my table and tablecloth covering up a good portion of the display). This is starting to add up to a lot more then the 4 panels originally. If only we could find it somewhere cheaper........

but from what my local dj store told me they are really quite new and they won't be carrying them for another week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast