Amp to suit Speakers
    Tech Wizard

Default Amp to suit Speakers

Hi all,Bought 2 behringer B215xl speakers and looking at the QSC amp to power them.Would the amp be powerfull enough?i think the speakers are just 250W to be honest.

Spec Of Speakers
    15" + 1.75" full range speaker, 250/1000W (RMS/peak), 96db SPL, 8ohms, 55Hz-20kHz, 70° x 40° dispersion. 1/4" jack/ thomann speakon inputs

Spec Of Amp
    QSC GX 3 Amplifier - 2x 425W/4ohm, 2x 300W/8ohm, XLR, RCA and 1/4" jack inputs, Speakon combo (1/4" jack thomann and Speakon) and binding post outputs.

Tech Mentor

Amp is fine just do not turn the gain to full

Tech Wizard

Default amp to suit speakers

My head is melted now reading about forums about amps and what to do and not to do.Don,t buy a amp with to much power as they will blow the speakers and then others say buy a amp with a bit more power than the speakers for headroom.Then some say buy a amp matching your speaker out put which is 250w @ 8 ohms
    I can buy a Peavey PV 2600 Power Amp is a 2u rackmount unit. 2 x 900W RMS @ 4 ohms, 540W RMS @ 8 ohms, or 1800W RMS bridged mono. XLR, 1/4" and barrier strip inputs with DDT compression system, binding post and Speakon output connectors.Any opinions.I suppose it comes down to the person operating the gain control on the amp to.

Tech Wizard

My head is melted now reading about forums about amps and what to do and not to do.Don,t buy a amp with to much power as they will blow the speakers and then others say buy a amp with a bit more power than the speakers for headroom.Then some say buy a amp matching your speaker out put which is 250w @ 8 ohms
    I can buy a Peavey PV 2600 Power Amp is a 2u rackmount unit. 2 x 900W RMS @ 4 ohms, 540W RMS @ 8 ohms, or 1800W RMS bridged mono. XLR, 1/4" and barrier strip inputs with DDT compression system, binding post and Speakon output connectors.Any opinions.I suppose it comes down to the person operating the gain control on the amp to.[/QUOTE]

Tech Wizard

You can buy any amp really that is suitable to run at 8 ohms. As long as its not clipping or putting out too much power it will not damage your speakers.

An amp with more rms power than the speakers will probably be better becuase it will have more headroom but aslong as you get something that can produce arround 250rms or more you should be fine.

Most speakers will sound crap when pushed to the max rms wattage anyway so you probably wont run them that hard ever.

It does 100% come down to the person opperating the gain control. You can measure the voltage output off your amp using a multimeter on the ac voltage setting and a sine wave. From that voltage you can then calculate watts using ohms law (Watts = Voltage squared divided by impendence)

Once you have worked out that you can then set up your gain structure so your amp will never put out too much power.

Soo the Kam would be fine but so would the peavey just watch the gains
    Last edited by petegt; 09-14-2011 at 09:58 AM.