Help - file management in Traktor...

Default Help - file management in Traktor...

Hey all,

Just got a brand new laptop. I used Time Machine to move everything over onto the new macbook. First i had to fix the root directory given that my old Macbook had a different name for the hard drive, but i got around that. Now, the issue is that the playlists I have in Traktor contain songs that wont load because Traktor claims it doesnt know where to look for them, even though I already specified where the iTunes library was located. I make playlists by finding songs from the left sidebar navigation tree, iTunes >> directly up into playlists in the Playlists folder also in the left nav tree sidebar.

I right clicked iTunes in the navigation tree and hit "import to playlists," thinking that it would update the directory for all the songs in my playlists. I have not yet tried clicking "import (iTunes) to collections, as i'm worried that will copy my entire iTUnes or something very space consuming...BUt yeah, import to playlists hasnt worked.

I've spent hours creating these playlists, editing cue points, etc etc. How can I get Traktor to recognize that these files are logically in teh same place as they were before?

Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching.

edit: if i am misunderstanding something about how Traktor manages files, then let me know. My assumption is that Traktor doesnt copy mp3s from itunes into some other directory, it just writes a file that tells Traktor where the mp3 is (in the itunes music library folder) + all the information you specify through cue points, beatgridding, etcetera.

fffiiissshhh

Tech Mentor

This isn't a solution to your problem but a suggestion.

I don't use the itunes integration with Traktor Moving to a new computer is a hassle.

If you load the files directly within traktor all the traktor tagging information like BPM cue points etc is written directly into the tags of the file, meaning if you move to a new comp its all there ready for you to use.

So whats your process like when you get a new song you want to add into traktor? You just find the file in Finder/Explorer and drag it in, or what? I should probably change my methodology.

It also seems like Traktor is slowly catching up...now about 80% of my tracks it's re-found. I'll just have to deal with the other ones as they pop up, but I think the import of my itunes library worked or something...maybe it's playing catch up in teh back ground? dunno.

amidoinitrite

My way around the inconsistencies between traktor and iTunes is checking consistency(on start up).

fix what needs to be fixed and you're good to go.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amidoinitrite View Post
    My way around the inconsistencies between traktor and iTunes is checking consistency(on start up).

fix what needs to be fixed and you're good to go.
    This, every time I start Traktor I'm alerted to any potential problems.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I don't personally see the need to use iTunes specifically within Traktor. Any track you download and file on your hard drive is automatically added to the tree in Traktor and you can set all of your playlists up within Traktor and just drag and drop them into the playlists as you go along!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Any track you download and file on your hard drive is automatically added to the tree in Traktor
    With all the various ways people store music on their computer that's not always the case. You can however set it up in preferences so that Traktor will import the new music in whatever folders you want it to watch.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Thanks everyone, I followed amidoinitrite's suggestion and checked consistency. I think Traktor was just a little bit behind my impatience - it caught up almost 100%, and the few tracks that were missing took me only a few minutes to fix. I turned on the option to check it at startup, too.

As for where to store music, i dont think it would make a difference whether I locate a new file in Traktor using the built in iTunes or using the file tree...right? It would be in the same location either way, given that i use iTunes to sort/manage my newly acquired music before it even touches Traktor.

amidoinitrite

Very nice..
    you can click "find tracks" (or what ever it is) and select your iTunes Music folder.. then traktor searches the whole folder.. If you only have one track missing you have to find that track yourself.

BUT.. the only reason that Traktor can't find a track is because since last opened either the Artist or Album information changed on the tag.. putting it in a different folder than traktor originally recognized it at.
    I personally just open up iTunes.. correct everything.. and check consistency again and everything is back in place..
    This works for me because I've NEVER had issues with Artists.. only Albums.. and I have all my Albums labeled "Unknown".. So whenever Traktor comes up with missing tracks I just have to open up iTunes, select all, get info, check for all Albums to be blank, and everything in traktor is good again!