My 1st attempt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st attempt

Tech Mentor

Default My 1st attempt

Just finished my map (it's in the mapping forum) and made a quick 1 track routine. I hope this is the correct forum! If not, someone please redirect me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soreS3oe2l8

I'm brand new to this, so be a little nice, but let me know if I should give up now

you trying to kill your launchpad
    Production: HP G62 2.6 dual core, 8gb ram | Live 8 | APC40 | MPD32 | MPK Mini | NI A2 | KRK Rokit 6 G2s | 6pack of Rolling Rock
    DJ: Kontrol X1 | TP2

Tech Mentor

Prior to this I was using the MPKmini that you see under the monitor - those drum pads need a good tap to get going. I got used to that feel, and it helps my timing

Tech Mentor

I watched your video while. Um. Sitting here watching your video. Here's my feedback!

- Congratulations on creating your own mapping, especially one that is functional to play with on a new piece of hardware. That's some pretty advanced mojo.

- Was the concept to "perform" silver screen "live"? If so, it might have helped make it a bit more clear what I was watching.. and I know the original song quite well.

- The sound of your finger echoing through the wooden table and being picked up as bass by your camera's mike more or less ruined the audio part of the experience. I was listening for what your button presses were doing, but all I could hear was "THUUUNK" as you hammered the controller. There have been some other threads where people have explained how they do video + traktor recorded audio sync with free/inexpensive software, I would explain how but I don't do this stuff myself. They also sometimes overlay a traktor screencast, which makes it even neater, imo.

- I heard some bits where your "mixing" seemed to be on and others where it seemed to be "off." I guess that's what you get when you turn off "quant" and try to "mix" loops live? Definitely had a "live" feel..

- Tapping and waving your hands in mid-air to count time probably indicates you should do one simple thing to improve your DJing. **** STAND UP **** from your chair, so you can tap your foot and/or do the DJ stand rhythmic hump to help with your timing.

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Tech Mentor

Thank you so much, Awesomer - you are even awesomer than I would have expected

I will take all of those into account, correct for all of them, learn to do this stuff properly, and should have a proper video in, I'd say... a week. Seems like more than a little to learn

As far as standing, for those who have workstations at computer desks, what do you use to get the height you need for standing work?
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomer View Post
    - The sound of your finger echoing through the wooden table and being picked up as bass by your camera's mike more or less ruined the audio part of the experience. I was listening for what your button presses were doing, but all I could hear was "THUUUNK" as you hammered the controller. There have been some other threads where people have explained how they do video + traktor recorded audio sync with free/inexpensive software, I would explain how but I don't do this stuff myself. They also sometimes overlay a traktor screencast, which makes it even neater, imo.
    Any idea where this information is? I've been googling and searching on djtt and reading through threads, but not finding anything (I have seen plenty of videos like you're talking about! but never an explaination on how they did it...)
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

1. Record Audio output e.g. Audacity, Ableton or Traktor Record.
    2. Record Cam as per normal
    3. Record your Screen (use snapx, camstasia, screenrecord).

Then you want to lay down your files in an editor when you are finished (e.g. Imovie)..

1. Audio Track from Digital Source (Traktor record or Ableton etc ..
    2. Video from Cam
    3. Video from Screen Capture

Then you can do some funky Picture in Picture stuff or transitions with the videos and dont forget to mute the video cam's audio track.

You'll prolly need to play around with the audio sync to get it dead on.

Tech Mentor

I'll have to figure out picture in picture for iMovie...

And I just found out that Quicktime has screencapture built in :doh: and I just recorded a mix!!!!!! ARGH!

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

YouTube
    SoundCloud

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast