M-Audio Studiophile BX8a
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default M-Audio Studiophile BX8a, are they any good?

Hi,

I was planning on saving for some KRK RP6s, here they're new for about $580. However, just found some new M-Audio Studiophile BX8a's for $280.00 for a pair. There's limited stock so I wouldn't have a chance to audition them beforehand (which I know is going against rule number 1 for buying monitors).

However, at a $300 difference, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these monitors? I'd like to use them for producing and general listening.

While I won't get to hear them before purchasing, I think I'd be comfortable with trusting other people's judgement if a $300 saving on these is worthwhile. Otherwise I'll keep saving.

Thanks in advance for your advice

edit: and just to check, I can run my Audio 2 DJ into the TRS input on each speaker?
    Last edited by funlife; 09-02-2011 at 11:10 PM.

i have some Bx5as and im super satisfied. they lack some high range but have a nice bass
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

Tech Convert

I have bx8a. Had them for a about 14 months. Love them. Ive beat them up a whole lot but they still give great output. The krks are great speakers too but for the price difference, theres not much difference
    Louder than the sound.

I have bx8a's for almost 2 years now. Super satisfied. No need for a sub, highs don't hurt the ears.

$280 sounds pretty unbeatable.
    OSX 10.6.4 | Traktor Pro 2 | VCi-100 FW 1.4 | NI Audio 8 | Xone 92 | M Audio BX8A Deluxe

I've heard good things about the BX-8as.

You can't just run your audio 2 into each monitor by TRS, the Audio 2 outputs unbalanced stereo not balanced mono. If you want a better explanation read my cables article that's linked in my sig. You can use one of the TRS-RCA splitters that's supplied with the A2 and run RCA cables to the monitors which will be fine over a short distance.

You'd need to buy something like a DI box to use the balanced inputs, but I doubt that'll be necessary for a home setup.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

Unlike the rest, I have actually heard really bad things about the BX8a's. I have been in the market recently for some monitors and done a fair amount of research in this area. The major complaints I've had with them is that their Amps are of low quality and distort after extended use. Also, one of the stores I was listening to monitors in said they have a very high return rate as they blow quite easily (amps blow, not drivers). I would say that it is better to spend a little more money and get something you know will last and treat you well. I'm not saying go spend $1000 on a pair of Adam's (though they are awesome), but get something tried and true.... (IMO KRK RP6's are the best for DJ use right now).

Cheers and good luck on your hunt.
    2x CDJ 900 | DJM 900 Nexus | TSP2 | 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz | KRK RP6 | Sennheiser HD 25-1 mkII

Tech Mentor

Thanks for all your responses, great having some input.

@minimal: Good to know they don't hurt your ears too much, I was doing some reading today that said the high's can be a bit strong and cause fatigue, though that may be at higher volumes.

@fullenglishprint: I did some reading on cables and think I sort of got my head around it. Just to confirm I run the splitter to each speaker into the TRS input? (so red for one and white for the other) Though I'm not sure because both aren't both XLR and TRS balanced? And the monitors only have a XLR and TRS input.

@Argos: During my research I came across some similar comments regarding the speakers blowing. But then wondered whether it was rarer than it seemed. RP6's definitely have a lot of support, just more than twice as much at this price. I know there's no substitute for quality but in a non-studio environment, figured it wouldn't be as much difference. Though reliability is something else again..would be pointless if they blew in two months

Hard to know..but then at $280 they're pretty tempting..maybe worth a gamble on the reliability, I wouldn't need to be running them very loud

In that case I think you'll need a DI box like this: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DI20.aspx

run each side of the splitter into a side of this, you'll need RCA-TS adapters or a TRS- twin TS adapter then use XLRs to connect to the monitors.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

If you are mostly dj'ing and just want to hear what you are playing then I would highly recommend at that price.

They are very very bass heavy, so for production they would not work very well especially if it is your first pair of monitors. It will be hard for you make your mixes translate to other systems.

But for listening I enjoy bass heavy speakers so they will be nice. The 8's are very loud.

If you go with the R6's they will be light on the low end so either way its not an ideal situation.

No eq on the monitors either so thats a minus but overall they are good quality and build to last. Guitar center uses them as display models for this reason.

They would work for small house parties also.

Edit: By reliability I guess i'm referring to woofers not puncturing...haven't researched the amps
    Last edited by Rukks; 09-03-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Tech Mentor

Thanks fullenglishprint for the info on the DI box. Bit of a pain, means they're not quite as cheap.

@Rukks: I've read a fair few comments that they are bass heavy. For listening I expect they will be nice but I am a bit concerned about translation issues and they are my first pair of monitors. While I can't treat the room they're in (and I expect it's pretty bad acoustically) and if I was producing something to send out I'd probably have it professionally mastered, perhaps the bass would be too misleading for even some self-mastering.
    Last edited by funlife; 09-04-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast