So I want to get a controller...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default So I want to get a controller...

So I have decided to invest a little bit into a controller since I have been doing some painfully slow to create mixes with my mouse and keyboard mappings. I am trying to keep it in a budget, say $350 or lower and I am not afraid to venture into the used market if there are some great deals to be had.

So Mixtrack Pro? Used VCI-100? What would be the best bang for the buck?

It depends what software you're using. If you're an Ableton DJ, then a Novation Launchpad or APC20/40 could be the way to go, but if you prefer Traktor and recording live, I'd probably reccomend a Mixtrack Pro, or even as you mentioned an used VCI-100.

You can't go wrong with either of those two, so I'd be keeping a close eye on the Buy & Sell forum to see if somthing you like comes up.
    Dell Studio XPS 1645 | TSP 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Audio 6 | HDJ-1000 | Alto PAM5A

Quote Originally Posted by jezalenko View Post
    It depends what software you're using. If you're an Ableton DJ, then a Novation Launchpad or APC20/40 could be the way to go, but if you prefer Traktor and recording live, I'd probably reccomend a Mixtrack Pro, or even as you mentioned an used VCI-100.

You can't go wrong with either of those two, so I'd be keeping a close eye on the Buy & Sell forum to see if somthing you like comes up.

I'd recommend the VCI-100 over the MixTrack if you're heavy on/love effects. Plus Fader FX looks like tons of fun.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tech Mentor

So do I gain or lose anything going with a VCI-100 SE, or should I stick with the original?

The original VCI-100 is pretty uninspiring as controllers go, until you upgrade the FW to make it an SE. Then it is indeed awesome. However, I'd say you can get more for your money these days. You still need a sound card remember.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

fullenglishpint, what would you say is more for your money?

And for audio cards, is the Audio 2 still the go to card for inexpensive USB audio?

Tech Guru

I think the best option to do is thing about how you mix, what music you play and decide if you need 2 or 4 decks, samples or not, loads of fx control or little to non, then how you would want these mapped like fader fx or knobs etc....

Your ideal setup might end up being, 2 korg nano kontrols and a soundcard = around 150...

So you really need to think outside the box, I've seen a dj turn up with a laptop, a desktop soundcard (huge box) and a nanopad and rock the night with whatever mapping he used....
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Mentor

So for a bit of history, I used to spin vinyl, then moved over to CD's till circa 1999. That was the last bit I used "professionally" when I used to do clubs and parties. I used to be big into scratching and not much into effects. Of course times have been a changing so I want to explore some options.

I do feel I want platters. I don't think I can just go into a straight midi controller only and be 100% satisfied. I am doing that with my keyboard mappings and feel that something is just "missing". I can be happy with 2 decks which is what I had always used in the past, but I suppose I could get into trying to control 4 decks. I want serious control over loops. Probably the consistent method I do is I constantly loop beats over tracks, so some EQ control is essential.

Musicality, hip-hop and R&B is my go-to.

Looking further into things should I set my sights higher for something like the Kontrol S2 so I have the built in soundcard? I would probably be doing a lot of bedroom/office mixing for a long time and given I have two young kids (3 & 4) the smaller the footprint and the more integrated it is, I would probably be better off.
    Last edited by ParisCreative; 09-03-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Big on them platters, eh? Then Allen & Heath and Novation controllers are out the window regarding recommendations. A MixTrack Pro with a special mappingsfor 4-deck control and a Kontrol X1 could be a good setup for you. The Kontrol X1 provides some decent loop control from what I've heard and seen.

Edit: Also, hunting in/watching the Buy and Sell section here on DJTT might bring you what you're looking for.

Edittt: I think waiting for the S2 would benefit your situation as well. :P
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

You could look at reloop's range, something like the Digital Jockey 3 might suit your needs. Not sure if they fixed the platter problems they were having but I know a fix was due. Apart from that reloop make some very good controllers at good prices. Integrated soundcards, the lot.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast