controller for production??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default controller for production??

ok, firstly let me start by saying i was a bit confused over which section to post this in as its about controllers and production, so mods please move if necessary.

i want to get into production and im looking for something that's simple to use and work my way around.

my budget is not very high and im looking at getting a launchpad as it comes with ableton and would work straight out of the box, (which is a big perk as it would really keep the cost down) how simple is ableton to pick up? i have a few friends that produce and some reccomend ableton and some say cubase.

so what are your thaughts, do i go with a launchpad together with something like a nanokontrol and use ableton, or go down the keyboard route and use maybe cubase? any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Tech Guru

I recommend the nano kontrol2 I had the original and swapped it for a nanopad, the kontrol 2 is lovely though, I use it with flstudio, not to sure on ableton as I never really liked it but would look into fl which I find to be so simple.

Kontrol 2 has lost it's page option but is replaced with a track left and right button which works better IMO and has led feedback
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Quote Originally Posted by dj stifffy View Post
    I recommend the nano kontrol2 I had the original and swapped it for a nanopad, the kontrol 2 is lovely though, I use it with flstudio, not to sure on ableton as I never really liked it but would look into fl which I find to be so simple.

Kontrol 2 has lost it's page option but is replaced with a track left and right button which works better IMO and has led feedback
    The nanoKontrol 2 looks a lot better than it's predecessor. Also appears to be tailored for use with Ableton.

@OP: The Launchpad is a great way to launch clips and what not, but wouldn't you also need a keyboard? Unless you'd rather input notes by hand... :/
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote Originally Posted by Onimode View Post
    The nanoKontrol 2 looks a lot better than it's predecessor. Also appears to be tailored for use with Ableton.

@OP: The Launchpad is a great way to launch clips and what not, but wouldn't you also need a keyboard? Unless you'd rather input notes by hand... :/
    +1 on the launchpad but also with some kind of standard keyboard controller like the lpk25.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Just get a keyboard with some knobs on it and then pick absolutely any DAW (or a tracker like renoise!)

Everything else is just fluff.

At the start learning how to do the most basic tasks and work your software is much much more important than fancy controllers. If I were to get into jogging tomorrow I doubt £150 trainers would make much difference but if I were an established athelete competing in a major long distance running event they might...
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Just get a keyboard with some knobs on it and then pick absolutely any DAW (or a tracker like renoise!)

At the start learning how to do the most basic tasks and work your software is much much more important than fancy controllers. If I were to get into jogging tomorrow I doubt £150 trainers would make much difference but if I were an established athelete competing in a major long distance running event they might...

onnnn the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    It really is just fluff. But the right DAW can make it feel like might fine fluff.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

as production is my main thing, i would recommend either the new novation impulse or sl mkII, or even an m-audio axiom. any of these controllers work great for production and integrate with multiple DAWs quite well.

As for the DAW, i would suggest reaper. it is easily the most often updated program for music production and has never had any stability issues with me. it's what i use for any production and editing, as well as some recording.

cheers for the input guys, very informative as usual, in relation to reaper.. it is VERY affordable with the single person licence,$60!! has anyone else had any experience with it? as i may well be on a budget but am willing to wait until i can afford the right tools for the job, but... one thing is settles, a keyboard i being ordered over the weekend, !
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

i was in the same boat as you - i am an audio engineering student, after buying a macbook for my studies, DAW software (cubase 6 and logic) and speakers audio interface etc, i didnt have any more money to spend on controllers for production

my best advise would be to go for something like the novation nocturn control surface and a cheap midi keyboard, or altogether a novation nocturn 25 keyboard (which has keys + endless rotaries all in one)

Cheap midi keyboard : Korg Microkey : 37 keys, nice sized, feels great, downside is aside from the mod and pitch wheel there are no buttons or knobs

Cheap knobs & faders: I originally bought the korg nanoKontrol2 to remedy the situation where my cheap midi keyboard does not have any rotaries or fader, i later found out that even though the nanoKontrol2 has 8 knobs and faders, being non motorized means when you change between tracks or parameters you are pretty much stuffed up, for example if you set them to control volume levels and panning for channels 1-8, and then you change the page to channel 9-16, the faders and knobs become useless because the hardware position and the software position is messed up
    so if you intend to use more than 8 channels (you most probably will) the nanokontrol really has limitations

solution: novation nocturn
    having endless rotaries and led feedback means you can scroll thru your tracks / parameters and still have that hardware/software sync
    its great for doing levels, panning, automations, when using the mouse dont feel right

just my 2 cents
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast