can i practice mixing with these turntables?
    Tech Mentor

Default can i practice mixing with these turntables?

ok so first thing you should know is that i'm poor and i can't even afford USED technics 1200 unless i save for it which could take a while since i have so much things to buy. i found these turntables for $65 and i wanted to know if i can practice mixing records/vinyls only with these things, they have a pitch control!!! lol. and the real question is can i practice mixing with these tables?

Pyle PLTTB1 Professional Belt-Drive Manual Turntable
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLTTB1-Professional-Belt-Drive-Turntable/dp/B00009V3TU/ref=sr_1_106?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315198158& sr=1-106"]Amazon.com: Pyle PLTTB1 Professional Belt-Drive Manual Turntable: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MS7R86XAL.@@AMEPARAM@@41MS7R86XAL[/ame]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3RUjgMpDQ0
    Last edited by cutflow; 09-05-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Anything with a pitch fader will do the job. At least for learning purpose. I begun with a pair of odd turntables... with a dimmer :eek:
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

its belt driven. dont do it. You want to make it a point to get direct drive

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJKeyWee View Post
    Anything with a pitch fader will do the job. At least for learning purpose. I begun with a pair of odd turntables... with a dimmer :eek:
    yeah i just want to can my hands on something to practicing on but that i can afford by december. numark tt-200 can also be an option that i can get by mid december.

Quote Originally Posted by Publicservice View Post
    its belt driven. dont do it. You want to make it a point to get direct drive
    can you explain this a little? the difference between the two, and how will this effect me just practicing how to mix two records together?

Tech Wizard

it's possible to mix with these but it will be hard since it's not direct drive. The pitch may tend to be off at times so might find yourself adjusting the pitch a lot to get clean mixes. Once you master beat matching with this you will be able to beat match with anything

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patech View Post
    it's possible to mix with these but it will be hard since it's not direct drive. The pitch may tend to be off at times so might find yourself adjusting the pitch a lot to get clean mixes. Once you master beat matching with this you will be able to beat match with anything
    lol sounds like its worth giving a shot. maybe i should try those for a year then move on to something like these - [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Numark-TT-200-Direct-Drive-Turntable/dp/B0001659D6/ref=sr_1_43?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315199020&s r=1-43"]Amazon.com: Numark TT-200 Direct Drive Turntable: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417711G2TZL.@@AMEPARAM@@417711G2TZL[/ame]

can you tell me the effect of it not being direct drive will have on practicing how to mix?

oh and the numark tt200 is the last affordable option for me that i can get by december or before.

Tech Wizard

direct drives have better torque and have a more stable tempo.
    The pick up on the belt drives LAG! lol PINCH THE NIPPLE! to get that beat matched.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patech View Post
    direct drives have better torque and have a more stable tempo.
    The pick up on the belt drives LAG! lol PINCH THE NIPPLE! to get that beat matched.
    what you think about the numark tt200, as my last affordable option. i would expect those to buy me a lot of time until i can afford some real TT's like some USED cheap broken technics 1200's for me to learn how to repair.

Quote Originally Posted by cutflow View Post
    can you explain this a little? the difference between the two, and how will this effect me just practicing how to mix two records together?
    I think the main problem with a belt-drive is that it won't be as quick in returning the record to full speed, so if you're cuing up a track, you're gonna get pretty noticeable "lag".

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    I think the main problem with a belt-drive is that it won't be as quick in returning the record to full speed, so if you're cuing up a track, you're gonna get pretty noticeable "lag".
    ok well im convinced and wont get them, instead i will get the numark tt200