early 90's dance chartbusters
    Tech Wizard

Default early 90's dance chartbusters

live mix freestyle session with some early 90's dance hits... for anyone that is interested...

tools.... numark mixtrack pro and traktor

http://www.mixcrate.com/mix/74740/EA...E-CHARTBUSTERS

TERMINATOR 2 MAIN THEME
    N TRANCE- DO YA THINK IM SEXY
    CNC MUSIC FACTORY- THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO MMM
    Cc MUSIC FACTORY- GONNA MAKE YOU SWEAT
    BLACK BOX- RIDE ON TIME
    KLF- 3AM ETERNAL
    CECE PENISTON- FINALLY
    MARKY MARK AND THE FUNKY BUNCH- GOOD VIBRATION
    TWO IN A ROOM- WIGGLE IT
    HADDAWAY- WHAT IS LOVE
    SNAP- RHYTHM IS A DANCER
    TECHNOTRONIC- PUMP UP THE JAM
    20 FINGERS- SHORT DICK MAN
    CORONA- RHYTHM OF THE NIGHT
    OUTHERE BROTHERS- BOOM BOOM BOOM
    CULTURE BEAT- MR VAIN
    THE GRID- SWAMP THING
    OUTHERE BROTHERS- DONT STOP
    SMART E- SESAME'S TREET

tracklist pulled me in for a listen.

Im a sucker for old school.

I often wonder what the future kids wil say about the todays music.

"man i cant believe my grandad listened to that old school doof doof, he is so embarressing when he bust's out that dinosaur looking controller thingy and tries to show off to to my mate's. Get with the times old fella, its all about the ?????? now!"

I enjoyed your mix. some of the effects (flanger) didnt really flow IMO. overallwas pretty tight apart from a couple of transitions. the parrt around 8.40-8.50 seems like there is a lot of noticeable pitch movement. I was intrigued by how you would pan this mix out hoping you would add some life into some of the classics of my childhood. you have done a pretty good job would love for it to have been a bit longer as I enjoy this type of mix.

I like where your coming from with your musical style as I was born in the early 80's so can relate to a lot of your tracks selections. they bring back memeories of days gone by

8/10 - track selection.
    7/10 - execution (could of been improved with longer mix using same tracks)
    5/10 - energy and groove

Thanks for posting. look forward to your next instalment.
    Last edited by Zaniac; 09-05-2011 at 06:55 PM.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Tech Wizard

cheers mate... appreciate your comments... i had another listen after reading your post and fully agree with everything you mentioned...
    ok so here are a few extra thoughts....

i was using all original edits... maybe the flatness may lie in the production styles of a past era... ive heard some awesome mixes from this era but were put down using mordernised remixes.... and most of all probably not mixed in real time...

energy and groove is probably also lacking due to the short track length... therefore the mix in points tend to clash vocally......

song knowledge i think was key here too... as there were a few spots as u mentioned where transitions were average...

lol the more i type the more i want to go back and mix it down again but definately bit longer this time...

cheers bro for your help

Quote Originally Posted by the_djs View Post
    i was using all original edits... maybe the flatness may lie in the production styles of a past era.
    funny, u must have snuck a look before I edited & removed the part about it being "Flat". I did so becasue I gave it another listen with the volume cranked & it gave it a bit more life. But I am glad you agree after reading your reply because I feel you do know what I mean whether or not "flat was the right word to use. you are proberly right in regards to the origional edits. this did cross my mind.

The reason I take an intrust in this type of mix is due to the fact I love all the classics as much as I love the edm. But I feel more for the older tracks.

I love it when they are both put together to create something old & new.

I may have posted this to you before, but this link is my favourite of the above rant to date
    http://soundcloud.com/jinsurgent/the-wedding-set

If you havn't given a listen, this may give you some Inspiration. it did for me. but your a step ahead of me bro, as I havn't layed out one of these mixes. (stay tuned )
    Last edited by Zaniac; 09-05-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Tech Wizard

no worries bro i look forward to it... yeah your right about mixing the old and new... the thing most beneficial thing i find is the ease of beatmatching when done this way.... believe it or not when mixing with these original 90's edits.. alot were unquantized so i spent alot of time nudging and adjusting... more points??? lol