Minor Confusion

Thread: Minor Confusion

Default Minor Confusion

Is it just me or is most EDM in a minor key?
    why is this?
    my first thoughts were, that this says more about my taste in EDM than it says about EDM in general, but ive already ruled that out.
    any thoughts peeps?
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Well...ultimately with Minor keys conveying a sadder, serious, or soulful tone...That probably has quite a bit to do with it.

But a lot of it also probably has to do with tradition.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Quote Originally Posted by RSDJMoniker View Post
    Well...ultimately with Minor keys conveying a sadder, serious, or soulful tone...That probably has quite a bit to do with it.

But a lot of it also probably has to do with tradition.
    traditional? how so?
    and why would a sadder/serious/soulful tone be predominant to a dancefloor of drugged out, pissed up punters?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon View Post
    traditional? how so?
    Goes back to Disco, Chicago House, and Detroit techno. it's always been predominantly minor key.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon View Post
    and why would a sadder/serious/soulful tone be predominant to a dancefloor of drugged out, pissed up punters?
    Cuz it is? It's easier to put all your soul into dancing to a minor key, IMO. It seems to connect to the audience better.

Also, I should mention A-minor is essentially C-Major with a different start/end point (which drastically changes the way it sounds) but its all the white keys on the keyboard. And this is where most performers begin producing...and thus boom, lots of songs in A-Minor.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Goes back to Disco, Chicago House, and Detroit techno. it's always been predominantly minor key.
    ah i see

Cuz it is? It's easier to put all your soul into dancing to a minor key, IMO. It seems to connect to the audience better.
    interesting, guess that relates back to good old hip-shakin funky basslines which i guess could be related back to the blues, which is apparently the easiest music to harmonise with, which i assume is due to what you say below about C-major and A-minor a essentally the same
    can funk be made in a major key?
    "seems to connect to the audience better" -- this ill investigate, i want to know more

Also, I should mention A-minor is essentially C-Major with a different start/end point (which drastically changes the way it sounds) but its all the white keys on the keyboard. And this is where most performers begin producing...and thus boom, lots of songs in A-Minor.
    this seems very likely the predominant cause

Tottally agree with RSDJ, but I think it's really a question of tendency. In dance music there are so much minor tone driven beat that producer tend to produce in it. So it sound right because our ear is kind of use to ear dance music in this tone. dunno if i'm clear
    macbook/2 Stanton STR.150 /Axiom 25/AKAI MPD 25/Vestax vci-100/Serato sl3/Ableton live 8 suite/ krk monitor/Ecler Nuo 2.0/Akai mpd24/midiFighter /Audio 4/2 Pioneer cdj 800mk2/

Default I never would have thought...

Very interesting to think about... Using MIK, I had noticed most of my EDM is in the minor key. I thought it was a mistake, or a coincidence, but really listening to the music it makes a lot of sense. The minor key seems like it affords a greater range of psychological/emotional connection.