Recommend me a SPL(decibel) Meter for helping with transitions
    Tech Guru

Default Recommend me a SPL(decibel) Meter for helping with transitions

I haven't been practicing mixing nearly as much at home as I have just been focusing on specific techniques like scratching. A problem I'm running into is my mixing is not as smooth as i'd like it to be. This stems from the problem that I'm weak at matching my levels. So when I bring in my next track the volume level kicks up but when I finally pull out the old track I lose a lot of energy. So i'd like to be able to get a SPL meter that will make me focus on keeping the volume at a consistent level. Is there anything product you guys could recommend or is there any apps that would work for this as well. I know I could just refer to my meters but another issue i'm running into is even though tracks will read roughly the same on the meters certain tracks will just have way more kick and energy even though the meters show the same levels.

What mixer are you using?
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Guru

S4

Tech Mentor

Sounds like you just need to work on using the EQ's. Honestly, your ears should be your best tool when it comes to levels and such.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

You need to make some headroom before working in new elements. Practice on your EQ and vol faders. The only db meters you need is the master and deck vu meters, the rest should suffice with your hearing

Also, if you use the auto gain feature, you can adjust the level and lock it in by right clicking the track in the browser, select edit, then enter the value you want in the auto gain box. Then the track will load with that value (as long as auto gain is on).

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You're overcomplicating it. If you're losing energy in a mix then maybe you need to look at phrasing mixes a little closer so that when you mix the other song out it's just as the new song kicks in.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Losing energy won't be down to volume; it'll be because your mix will have gone from being quite dense to too sparse.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud