USB Hub Question
    Tech Wizard

Default USB Hub Question

Alright here's the situation:

So I have been thinking of incorporating a USB Hub to my set up since I ordered a MIDI fighter and I have an S4. I've been using a Verbatim 500gb hard drive to carry all my data. But it's such a hassle @ gigs since the hard drive requires a power adapter and it's length is short. So I wanted to purchase a bus powered external hard drive, possibly a seagate with the same storage space. Would it be possible to run the MIDI Fighter and a Seagate on the same USB hub? Should I invest in a triple interface external hard drive? That way I can use Firewire and individualize each device's power supply.

Somebody get at me ASAP about this !

I'd get a powered USB hub.
    Belkin makes some good ones.
    --------------------------------------------------
    2023 14" MacBook Pro M2 Max 32 GB (OS Ventura 13.5.1), Rekordbox, Technics SL-1210GRs,
    DJM-A9, DDJ-XP2, Sennheiser Acoustick.

Tech Wizard

So I've heard. I hope it works alongside with the MF

Go powered, you don't want to muck about with that.

It's a hassle but worth it.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Right there are two big questions which you need to answer when considering a USB hub (just been through this myself after a Serato SL1 & Dicers issue)

1. Power

You need to work out the total power requirement of all the gear you intend to plug into the hub

If it's <= 500mA you can use a bus powered USB (as 500mA is the maximum a single USB port can provide)

If it's < 500mA you need a mains powered hub

2. Protocol

This is less of an issue, but if you're plugging multiple USB 1.1 devices into a hub you may need to be looking at multi TT hub to ensure that each device is allocated its full allowance of bandwidth (especially if your devices move a lot of data around)

A multi TT hub allows multiple USB 1.1 devices to operate at full data rate , those without multi TT may not.

Then it comes down to size/weight/shininess considerations
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Wizard

I see. I think it's going to be time to put my Best Buy gift card to use. I'm pretty sure the HD and the MF will both be USB 2.0

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate+...rive&cp=1&lp=3

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-...0hub&cp=1&lp=4

I like these

I'm probably going to have to bring an extension or a extra outlets to power the hub.