Gamepad MIDI controller (noob) questions
    Tech Wizard

Default Gamepad MIDI controller (noob) questions

So I know this subject has been beaten to death plenty of times, but I figured someone might be able to give me an idea of where to go from here. I know it may be hard to help without any pics to give you a visual reference, Ill throw one up when I'm out of work later today.

I have a gigaware usb pad from radioshack, I opened it up and I dont seem to find clear connections for some of the buttons to be soldered. I see a round maze of circuitry where each of the gamepad buttons contacts the pcb, which seems promising however these connections seem far too small to solder with... I assume these are more complex than a regular 4 button setup since its an 8 way d-pad, and id like to take advantage of this to send 8 different midi messages (if possible)

4 of the other buttons have larger circle-shaped contact points where the original gamepad buttons contacted the pcb, these 4 buttons look easy to solder to. the shoulder buttons should be much easy as well since they're connected with a pair of wire leads that I can solder up easily.

Tech Wizard

Picture of the PCB for reference, any ideas?

just looks like when you press a button it makes contact with the circular area underneath it and completing the circuit. those areas look big enough to solder onto - tho you'll need to be quite careful when soldering onto those maize like ones. still should be possible tho.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

what are you using for software?
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Tech Wizard

I DJ with Traktor Pro 2... If you mean hid/midi translation software I'm not sure, probably glovepie, rejoice or something like that. I control my two main decks and a couple sample decks from my akai mpk49, I just want something with 4 extra knobs to control an extra fx unit (controlling 2 currently), and an array of 12 buttons for my hotcues

I guess I'll take some lead wire and try soldering those super tiny maze circuits... I've got some experiencing soldering electronics but I'm not sure if my hand is steady enough for it... I guess we'll find out!

Still need to get a project box and the pots, and to also de-solder and remove the joysticks, should be fun!

loopMIDI for the virtual midi port and glovepie for the hid to midi translation has always worked for me. you do need those two components. something to xlate from hid to midi and then a virtual midi port for the data to be sent to which you then connect to traktor etc.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

I've had virtually all known programs installed and I do know how it works, but somehow traktor does not learn stuff.

In Midi - ox I can see all the midi messages being sent from Fergo Joystick or Rejoyce, but somehow Traktor refuses to see the messages...

When setting up traktor I select generic Midi, in port midi yoke 1....
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

sounds pretty odd... so attaching midiox to "in port midi yoke 1" shows data streaming when u use the gamepad etc while closing midiox and then opening traktor, adding a generic midi device and connecting it to the same port used by midiox and u dont see the midi indicator flicker at the top of traktor and when using 'learn' and pressing the pad traktor doesnt see the input?

i have no clue about midiyoke - not used it in years - but the theory should be the same as loopMIDI etc, just diff port names...

Tech Wizard

As far as virtual midi software, I'm using LoopBe1. I've been using it for years and it's never given me problems... I have my android phone with TouchOSC controlling a 3rd deck in traktor through a virtual midi port. If all goes well, I'm going to invest in a couple UMC32's or a livid brain and build myself a bigger better controller after this... can't wait : ]