Project: DIY Midi mixer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Project: DIY Midi mixer.

Hi!
    The last time it was a Guitar, now it is a MIDI controller i chose for my "autumn project".
    I want to build a Midi-Mixer.
    It should have 4 Line faders, 1 Crossfader, some potentiometers (4 band eq and gain per chanel, master volume, headphone volume), some buttons (cue per chanel, CF assign).
    This controller should be added to my setup of 2 x1 and my audio2 and a xone (which will be almost useless then).

What midi "brain" would you reccomend me?

It will be at most the faders + 20 potentiometers + 10 buttons.

And did i understand that right, that I can use normal faders / pots / buttons, just as i would use them in an analogue mixer?

Have you got any wiring examples?

I am planing to solder everything together in a solid metall box and i will publish a layout plan in a few days.

I hope you can support me.

Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Midibox is pretty expensive, you could get an arduino mega or a ChipKit Max. You require however more analogue inputs that available so you'd have to multiplex them.
    iMac(early 2008) | Compaq Presario cq56, celeron dual core @ 2.1Ghz,4GB RAM | hercules mp3 e2| 2 x Akai LPD8 | TP2

I too am looking at building a mixer aswell, would this work, http://highlyliquid.com/midi-controllers/midi-cpu/

Thanks for the time and info
    Huey

Definitly the umc+ by HaleMicrosystems it's eazy, good an cheap and if you think 32 digital or analogue inputs isn't enough you can link two togheter for 64 inputs.

It's simply the best.
    DN-X1600 | 2x X1 MKI | APC 20 | MC-505 | MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | XBoard 49

Tech Mentor

Got the old school UMC32 and I can vouch for its ease of use.

Tech Convert

How many connections ("ins") does a crossfader, a pot (guessing 1), a button (huessing 1) or a lien fader need?

So that i can figure out if 32 are enough.
    And could i use a a normal crossfader▀

yes you can use normal crossfaders and everything takes just 1 input
    DN-X1600 | 2x X1 MKI | APC 20 | MC-505 | MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | XBoard 49

Tech Convert

Ok, so would that work out:

2 UMC 32+
    1 UMC 32+ Bridge to connect them
    4 Line Fader (http://www.thomann.de/de/denon_fader_dnx400.htm or mabe the ones from HaleMicro, but are they reliable?)
    1 Crossfader (http://www.thomann.de/de/allenheath_...er_xone_22.htm)
    23 Potentiometers for 4 Band eq + Gain per chanel + Headphone volume + Master Volume + Headphone Mix (http://www.halemicro.com/Products/Products.html)
    8 switches for Crossfader assign (just some normal mini switches)
    4 Buttons for Cue per chanel (any recommendations? Are those mini buttons like they are used in the X1 easy to solder or can you any easy alternatives?)
    + Some ribbon cables

So that would be a total of 40 inputs right? Then i would get some extra features to use all the possible 64 inputs, i dont wanna waste money

For cue i would use arcade, everything else looks perfect to me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast