First Gig Tomorrow
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Gig Tomorrow

A bit of background first. I am 15, have been Djing with Traktor for 3 or 4 months now. I normally play Progressive House, Big room, Electro House and some Dubstep.I am competent at mixing, I watch my levels as I mix and use EQs for better blends. I come from a musical family and I am decent at phreasing my mixes. I DO USE SYNC, simply because it would be illogical and very time consuming to beatmatch with my current equipment, and it allows me to focus on phrasing and blending more.

So my good friend messaged me on Facebook asking if I was free saturday night. Turns out he wanted me to DJ his sister's boyfriend's 18th birthday party. A smallish thing with 40 people max.

I don't actually have my own laptop yet, so I will be using either his sister's or her boyfriend's. This is the part I'm stressing about.

1)I want to know if I've forgotten anything I need to bring on an external harddrive to have things working flawlessly.

My list (so far):
    • Traktor Installer
    • Native Instruments folder from my PC
    • Music
    • ASIO4ALL driver
    • External Soundcard drivers
    • BCF 2000 drivers

I will also be bringing with me:
    • BFC 2000, not the best controller, but the only thing I have
    • M-Audio Jamlab external soundcard
    • AKG K240 Studio headphones
    • Spare iPod headphones as backup
    • iPod
    • Spare 1/4" lead
    • 2x 1/4" > RCA adaptors
    • Stereo splitter
    • RCA > 1/4" adaptor

2)Am I right in thinking this will be all I need to plug into an external amplifier?

My setup will go:

Laptop ---> Amplifier ---> Speakers
    ---> BCF 2000
    ---> External soundcard ---> Headphones

I will have prerecorded mixes on my iPod ready to swap in should the laptop fail for any reason.

My next question is about song selection as the night progresses.
    My plan is a load of Pretty Lights type chillout music for the first hour while people arrive, then moving into some Deep House while people are still drinking and whatnot.

When the girls start wanting to dance I'll start playing some of the slower top 40, no remixes yet. Then when nearly everyone is on the floor some of the more upbeat stuff with maybe a few remixes.

When most are on the floor, the real singalong stuff like T.G.I.F and others.

Then, and only if It's asked for I might play some Dubstep.

I'll finish it off with some clubbier songs and some Progressive House to finish.

3) From people's past experiences in Djing 18ths, will this plan go down well?

4) Judging from what I have read and heard from others, mixing technique does not matter with this type of croud and song selection is key. So I am assuming I should stay away from long blends and improvised build ups and cue point juggling. Am I correct?

Sorry for the wall of text :P
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

well done! you have certainly done your homework

there is only one tiny flaw in your plan, for which (sadly) you can't really be prepared. And that is stability and actual functionality of the host's laptop. could you meet up with him today, or reeaaly early to ensure it actually works?
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Quote Originally Posted by Kupujte_Pytle View Post
    well done! you have certainly done your homework

there is only one tiny flaw in your plan, for which (sadly) you can't really be prepared. And that is stability and actual functionality of the host's laptop. could you meet up with him today, or reeaaly early to ensure it actually works?
    Thanks. I have been assured it's a pretty good laptop, as his parents are fairly wealthy. And I will be arriving 4 hours early to setup and make sure everything is working. I might be able to get my hands on the laptop earlier in the day, I'll see if I can.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

Good luck Nathan.

Let us also know how the gig went.

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Make sure you have the right adaptors to connect your laptop to the amp.

Doesnt look like you have a 3.5mm to 1/4" or 3.5mm to phono in your gear.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Doesnt look like you have a 3.5mm to 1/4" or 3.5mm to phono in your gear.
    I'll get onto that before I go for sure.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

good luck mate! one thing i would reccomend is smitten's power script for windows laptops (if it is a windows that is, you didnt say) it doesnt matter how good the laptop is it could still give you bugs, here's the link for the articke :

http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/08/1...-power-script/

it doesnt make any permanent changes and can be prepared at home, copied onto a usb dongle and deleted from the laptop after the gig. turned out to be a lifesaver for me and definately worth having.

one other thing... im betting your m-audio soundcard is much better quality than your onboard one, so maybe use this for routing your master sound and monitor from the onboard.

again though... best of luck and let us know how you get on.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

So you'll be using asio4all to aggregate soundcards so you have one to monitor and one for master? This could be trouble. No chance at all of you setting up the day before? If you have any trouble you could then get a decent 2 channel soundcard?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    So you'll be using asio4all to aggregate soundcards so you have one to monitor and one for master? This could be trouble. No chance at all of you setting up the day before? If you have any trouble you could then get a decent 2 channel soundcard?
    I've decided to just cart my desktop along in the end. I use asio4all at home with no issues, no dropouts or anything.

one other thing... im betting your m-audio soundcard is much better quality than your onboard one, so maybe use this for routing your master sound and monitor from the onboard.
    The M-Audio soundcard us quite old, and I occasionally get crackling while monitoring. I wouldn't want this on large speakers, and it doesn't matter too much while cue'ing tracks in.

I was going to purchase an Audio 2 awhile ago, but then my Dad realised he had this he wasn't using, so gave it to me. The BCF 2000 is from him too
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

ok cool, work with what you've got mate and smash it! just make sure that youre having a good time!
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast