Midi clock sync traktor to external mixer - djm900 ?
    Tech Guru

Default Midi clock sync traktor to external mixer - djm900 ?

Hi,

I recently switched back to an external setup after trading up my djm700 for the newer 900. I have to say, i like the feel of traktor external alot more than internal for some reason. I tried a bunch of different settings and followed some online guides (tho info on this particular subject seems scarce) to get the djm to use traktors clock.

However, i question whether i have midi clocks of traktor and the djm syncing up correctly. It doesnt sound bad but there is one thing that has me thinkomg im not quite using it right..

When i have traktor clock 'playing', i notice that traktors bpm readout and djm bpm readout are usually not exactly matxhed. Its usually only off by a few bpms but sometimes in extreme cases, it can show a difference of 40 bpm! Example - traktor clock shows 130bpm and djm clock shows 170 bpm.

I would have assumed they should always match if they are talking to each other correctly. Is my assumption just wrong? Or do i not have this setup right?

A few notes:
    - i CAN get traktor to use the djm clock but i wanted to do it the opposite way.
    - i do have the traktor preference checked to send midi clock with 0 ms
    - i also tried setting up a generic midi controller with all ports in and out as a guide online suggested. I didnt get the point of it but i tried it anyways.
    - i have djm set to auto beat mode (as opposed to manual tap)

Any thoughts or suggestions? Is it just meant to be different bpms displaying on both?

Anybody else using a different external mixer that is midi friendly experience the same issue with different bpms? If not, can you tell me generally wht you did and i can try to apply to my mixer?

I seem to think the problem is that the djm clock cannot be turned off or slaved..

Thnx

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    Hi,

- i also tried setting up a generic midi controller with all ports in and out as a guide online suggested. I didnt get the point of it but i tried it anyways.
    Try doing this, but leave in blank and set out to virtual port.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Hey thnx for reply

I should clarify im using windows..

When u say virtual port, can u clarify a bit? Something like midibloop or midiyoke? I kind of tried something like that but i think the problem was i had no idea what i was doing with it lol.. But i wasnt too persistent since i had no reason to believe it might solve my problem. But if thats what u mean, ill give that another go.

Do u think im right about the bpm readouts? They should be a perfect match on both sides, right?

I think the BM readouts should match, but I don't know anything about the DJM900. Virtual port is a selection in the controller manager in/out ports. Create a new generic midi mapping and for that mapping set the out port to traktor virtual port. You don't need to set in because nothing is coming in to Traktor
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Guru

Thnx alot for the suggestion - will give it a try

Tech Guru

Hmm.. for some reason I dont see any ports named "virtual port".. I know in the Mac version, there is a "virtual midi clock" port but they dont offer that in Windows. Is that what you were referring to?

My steps were to add a generic midi controller, then just clicked the dropdown by the ports but I only see ALL, NONE or SOME SPECIFIC CONTROLLERS (like x1, etc).

if its anything to go by, i tried to do this with my djm800. No love.

Why do you want the djm900 "display bpm" to match traktor exactly anyway? if i may ask..
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

On my DNX1600 the display BPM is also the BPM that the mixer's on board FX sync to.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Tech Guru

Exactly what photojojo said.. but like I mentioned, it sounds pretty good so I dont notice a glaring audio problem or anything like that so I kind of think its setup right (alot of what I heard on the pioneer msg board is that "it just works" granted you have AUTO bpm turned on for DJM900).

I guess I just would like to know that its working and that the effects are being used as tight as possible. Theres no reason I can think of that it shouldnt match so I'm being anal retentive I believe.

And when I see the 40 bpm differences, I really start questioning things.. its just not logical..

The other thing is that I can set it up so that the DJM900 controls the BPM via its midi clock and Traktor adjusts immediately to reflect the BPM that the DJM900 reflects (down to the decimal point) which tells me that they should both match up if they are talking correctly to each other. But when I try to go the opposite way, I get vastly different results which again gets my mind convincing me theres a better way of doing it.

Chris, do you have the DNX1600 sync'ed up to Traktors clock? Does your bpm readout on DNX match up with the Traktor readout?

Yes, the display on my 1600 matches whatever the master BPM is in Traktor. I change it in Traktor and the display on the mixer changes. If I stare at it long enough I will see an occasionally .1 fluctuation in the display, bit it never has any affect on anything.

Sounds like a bug in the DJM just not displaying the correct BPM.
    Chris Jennings FHP