Jog Wheel?

Thread: Jog Wheel?

Exclamation Jog Wheel?

Can I make a touch sensitive jog wheel and put it on a midi fighter? I plan on making something like the beatmasher and using the 4th analog as the encoder. Anyone?

Tech Mentor

I've been thinking of doing something similar with my Beatmasher, though have not had time to really think about it yet. Adding a pot or fader would be straightforward, but encoders (I assume a jog wheel works similar to an encoder) are generally digital, so you won't be able to just connect it to the spare analog input. I guess the simplest thing to do would be to connect the encoder to another microcontroller, which converts it to an analog signal, though its a bit of work, requires a digital to analog converter (or a microcontroller with an on board one) and you lose some of the potential features of an encoder. Its also not exactly the most cost effective way, but it would work.

Connecting a digital interface directly would be quite a bit of work, since the MF Pro's already use the digital pins (never mind the fact that currently the MF Pro source code has not been released).

I've been thinking about making a Jog wheel to go along with the custom controller I'm designing.