Recommended MIDI Drum Pad?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Recommended MIDI Drum Pad?

Hey all,

I'm searching for a MIDI pad, as the title suggests, for drumming and percussion (as triggering drums with my digital piano is a bit annoying). Preferably on the cheaper end, but not crappy (I know, it's a hard one). I've heard, for example, that the Korg Nanopad 1s and 2s are fairly breakable, and I'm after something I don't have to continually replace every few weeks of solid finger-drumming.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    - HateDread.

I like Korg PadKontrol even if I think you will get a lot of recommendations to look at the new NI Maschine Micro.

The new Novation Impulse keyboards also seem to have decent-to-good drum pads but I have not yet tested one (out in two weeks' time.)

Tech Student

As good as the Padkontrol looks, it's still a bit too much for me.

I was thinking the AKAI LPD8 (instead of say, the Nanopad) fits into my cheaper price-range better than most. What are your thoughts on it?

LPD8 is fine but don't expect a long lifetime with those units, they are cheap and there's a reason why.

only one option really - the lpd8. i think the build is pretty good and i drum it pretty hard... i used to break at least one stick usually during a practice session on an actual kit - so i'm not known for my gentle handedness when doing anything percussive...

it's pretty solid and the pads have a nice feel to them and a decent size.

i wouldnt consider a nanopad for percussion after all the things people say about them.

there is a more expensive option - the vestax padone - which i am considering, but mostly for the extra pads, 8 isnt really enough.

i'm more likely to go the cheap route tho and pick up a 2nd lpd8 - to give me a more nautural feeling 4x4 grid. somehow two rows doesnt feel quite right to me.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

+1 for the lpd8 if you're looking for budget pads.

Tech Guru

korg nano arent too bad, mine broke for over a year till I found a guide which said to pull apart the two contact sheets inside, I did this and it worked better then ever.

mine never worked from new but does after this fix, good thing is it takes up little to no room either, it sits over my touchpad if short for space.
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

find a used MPD 16 or 18, you might need a midi to usb cable depending on your OS
    Macbook Pro : Traktor Pro 2 : VCI 400SE : Maschine : Midifighter Classic : Akai MPKmini : Akai MPD16 custom : Komplete Audio 6 : VCI 100SE Arcade #87/100 : Check out my mixes at http://soundcloud.com/2089a-d

I also think the lpd8 is a good purchase. Shame about the teeny weeny knob caps though.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Mentor

the vestax pad one is a perfect combination of size and ruggedness. but it is expensive. for the money, the lpd8 is a no brainer as its currently in the sub $50 range. You could buy 3 for the price of the vestax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast