What do I do now?(Getting myself out there)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What do I do now?(Getting myself out there)

Hello fellow DJ's

I have been mixing for quite some time now and I have a few questions.
    As a DJ...when coming up with your "DJ name" Is it something that just came to you guys or something that you stayed up one whole night just filling up a piece of paper???

I would like to hear some input on how you got your dj name.

Also...I wanna have like a youtube logo...or even a dj logo...Just to familiarize people with who I am and stuff...ya know. But does that mean I have to go spend 500 dollars on Photoshop and freaking become a graphics artist too? haha. Also If a company does it, do they usually have your logo trademarked or get all the rights to it? Cause that sounds like a big mess to me.

Any input is fine, or anything you wish you knew right during this stage of "getting yourself out there" that you didn't know that you wish you knew feel free to lay it on me.

Thanks

Tech Mentor

you can hire a designer for your logo. different designers or design firms charge different prices, probably a good idea is to just look around some freelance forums and find some one who's really talented and and has a good portfolio then ask them for a quote. make sure they know what they are doing and not just some idiot who can use layerstyles in photoshop. also if you hire some one to do design work then all the rights go to you, usually.

Use http://nexi.com/fun/rw/rwcgi.cgi?cmd=load&id=4 if you are not creative enough to make your own name or use your real name.

I make all my graphics on Aviary.com. It's no photoshop but for starting out it's definitely cost effective.

As far as DJ name goes mine came out of a few things.

A.) I love getting in trouble so 'Oh No' kind of ties into that.
    B.) It fit well with Nolan (last name)
    C.) When my mother was young she was convinced that her last name was 'No No' because it always followed her first name.

You just have to step outside your life and look at who you are and what your style is. Then again you can just come up with whatever you want and own it.
    everything I need for a sexy party:
    HP DV4 | S4 | Midi-fighter | Maschine | KRK R6 G2 monitors | Crown + Cola

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...ighlight=micah

Here's a useful thread on naming yourself!

Tech Convert
    Macbook Pro 17" Traktor Pro (Noob) Graphic Design (Adobe Master Collection)

Tech Wizard

When you say Ohno I think of that speed skater from the last Olympics. It might be cool to make a play off that like "Jupiter Ohno" or "Ohno Gold" or something ice related.

Tech Guru

ive said this before and ill say it again. if you have to ask how to get yourself out there, you arent participating enough in your local scene. you need to spend time there, get to know the dj's, the clubgoers, become a part of the community.

not one of them will give a damn if you have a good website, or a good logo. that can be bought. youre asking to become part of a family. theres no shortcut that will allow you to buy yourself in. it takes time, hard work, and a lot of networking and patience.

its not something anyone can do for you.

doc martin still doesnt have a logo or website of his own. and hes one of the best house dj's to ever touch turntables.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

this should be your name:

Late Night Battery Run
    or
    Stormtrooper Diarrehia Incident (what happens when they have to shit real bad, those suits must be a bitch to get out of)
    Production: HP G62 2.6 dual core, 8gb ram | Live 8 | APC40 | MPD32 | MPK Mini | NI A2 | KRK Rokit 6 G2s | 6pack of Rolling Rock
    DJ: Kontrol X1 | TP2

Tech Guru

don't stress about the moniker, you will probably want to change it atleast a couple of times soonish anyways.

just do a google search to make sure nobody else is using it.
    after all, if it doesn't show up on google it does not exist :P
    Last edited by wrong chris; 09-11-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast