Is this a new or known DJ technique?
    Tech Mentor

Default Is this a new or known DJ technique?

So I got my LP mapped out in TP2 with 8 hotcues per track and 2 beat jump buttons (16 forward 16 back) [amongst other things ]

I stumbled upon something when I felt I ran out of cue points:

hotcue+beatjump

this effectively gives me 23 cue points per track if I want (assuming cue1 is at the start of the song) and that's not including hotcue+doublebeatjump (think video games; X+Y,Y)

Does anyone else do this? Or is this to risky for live work and only doable in a studio or for rehearsed routines?
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

I did this before with my Launchpad. This literally gives you an unlimited amount of hotcues, depending on how you want to map things. But the hotcues kind of become song-specific once you include the beatjumping.
    apc40 | ableton | ath-sj33
    deviantART | SoundCloud | facebook
    SKRILLEX IS THE BEST TECHNO DJ EVER!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tech Mentor

I did it once by accident, and was like "hey, that's not my cue..... cool!"

DJTT probably knows all kinds of cool techniques for little things like this that they're not sharing

A sticky should be made somewhere of "not quite so basic techniques" for people like me who are past the basic stuff, not ready for the advanced stuff Ean proposes sometimes (that fx jog on the S2 letting you grab it at 8 O'Clock or 6 O'Clock and get different beats is a little too much for me right now...), but are stuck with the basics except when we accidentally discover something like this (that apparently is common knowledge lol)
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

It's a known technique and has been discussed. I said something about doing it on a thread on here a couple of weeks ago, but I don't remember what thread it was.

Traktor Bible is good for stuff like this, and going through all the old articles.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

I was just saying that a sticky would be, I'm sure, greatly appreciated by many because going through all the old articles not only takes time, but is sometimes dificult to sort through to find what is what. Plenty of articles are not so useful, but still informative. I have read probably the past 10 months now, but I suppose this site supports Traktor Bible, right? So perhaps I'm a bit out of line with that request...

YouTube
    SoundCloud

I'd propose a separate "Techniques" forum where such things could be shared, and particularly helpful techniques could be stickied.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    I'd propose a separate "Techniques" forum where such things could be shared, and particularly helpful techniques could be stickied.
    second ^

Any mod have any thoughts on this? It's one of the biggest parts of DJTT all in all but no forum for it...

YouTube
    SoundCloud

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think a stickie section in the FAQ thread covering various techniques woud be a better idea.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

So what does this do?
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    So what does this do?
    if you hit hotcue2+beatjump16 and you know thats the start of the second half of the verse, you can jump to that second half of the first verse any time, just instead of hitting hotcue2 (for v1) you hit hc2+bj16 for the second phrase.

YouTube
    SoundCloud