Audio question's..connecting/setup
    Tech Mentor

Default Audio question's..connecting/setup

Hi techtools community

I was wondering if anyone could help with these queries I have.

As a former pc user (have no previous apple use) Im going the mbp route and as will be connecting a extrenal hd to store all audio files is their any things that need to be done to the external hd to prepare i.e format only using a mac,leads used for transfer?

Also I plan on connecting maschine and X1 to it does the soundcard in the mac suffice? As the info on the 2.0GHz quad-core is pretty vague on the soundcard.

Thanks
    Le gash

I wouldn't recommend using the internal soundcard for anything music related.

If you're never going to have to use the HDD with a PC, use Mac Journaled formatting when you reformat the disk with disk utility. Cables... well it'll be whatever came with your HDD.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    I wouldn't recommend using the internal soundcard for anything music related.

If you're never going to have to use the HDD with a PC, use Mac Journaled formatting when you reformat the disk with disk utility. Cables... well it'll be whatever came with your HDD.
    Cheers I was afraid of that...yea it will just be used with mac..if I have previous audio on another exernal will that not be useable since it was used threw a pc? Im pretty clueless when it comes to ins and outs of hardware.

You can use that no problem. Basically macs can read PCs' standard HDD formatting (FAT) but they have their own improved format which cannot be read by PCs.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Tech Mentor

After a little more research on soundcard's will an audio 2 help?
    I thought connect usb hub to the mbp then devices to hub then soundcard to hub followed by the line out's to amp?
    Im not to shure on wear in the chain the soundcard would go as well as an external hd, (Is it possible to route them like this in the hub or does it have to be specific).

Does any of the above make sense maybe you can tell im totally clueless!!

An external HDD will be fine through a hub (best to get an AC powered one rather than relying on the laptop's USB bus power), but due to the amount of data being transferred it's best to plug a soundcard directly into a USB port on the laptop itself.

Tech Mentor

Thanks very much for your feedback I really appreciate it, my only concern is getting a soundcard which work's with the afore mentioned kit as their is so many option's
    thanks again

The Audio 2 is loud, high quality and very reliable.