Too many devices too lil usb ports
    Tech Wizard

Default Too many devices too lil usb ports

Hey djtt, I have officially run into a problem.

I have my first gig on thursday with my s4 and new lighting set up (thanks to everyone on the forums for helping me get all these new items) but I think I have run into a problem.

Ill be running my s4 directly into my macbook pro usb slot...

so now I have one slot left, but I still need to plug in a midi controller (bus powered or self powered) and dmxis (bus powered) which runs my entire lighting rig through ableton.

I have a non powered hub and a crappy powered hub (10 from amazon).

What is the best combination for these other two units to make sure everything will run smoothly? WIll I need to use the powered hub?

Thanks guys for your help.

Tech Wizard

1) "Too many devices, too few USB ports"
    2) Use the search function or that cute little thing that people call google.
    3)TL;DR...use the powered one.

it comes down to what usb hub works better? i found my self using a unpowered hubs running my vci100,audio8,wd passport,launchpad like a charm. but also i had a powered one which was rubbish.
    test it to it´s limit and then you´ll come to the conclusion what is better for you.

@synec: not nice. tl;dr was unneccesary since it wasn´t tl...
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

* Power your S4.
    * Use a good powered USB hub for the rest (some hubs have power units with less than 1 amp, avoid those.)

Laptop USB ports are fine but they have never been designed to drive many devices. You just avoid a lot of crashes and bad behavior if you follow those two rules above.

I'm assuming since you mention only 2 USB slots that you have a 15 or 13" MBP? Which leaves out the handy little device I have for my 17" that gives me 4 powered slots with a usb card.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by earl panda View Post
    @synec: not nice. tl;dr was unneccesary since it wasn´t tl...
    tl;dr was meant for my comment that I posted. Im not THAT much of an asshole