DJ In A Box?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJ In A Box?

Tech Mentor

Default DJ In A Box?

Found a deal somebody selling a set of 2 Numark TT1610s and an iM1 mixer (2Ch with an iPod dock) says one of the needles on one tables is broken.

I know they're belt driven, and I know this is low end stuff, but I have never even touched a real table before, and was wondering if this would be a decent way to start out (either that or I try it in 5 years when I have some money)

They want like 120 for the whole set. Is this a deal? Or pass? It's online so I can't really get too much knowledge, other than I'm told that's the only thing wrong with it (and some minor cosmetic stuff)

Deal or no deal?
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Save your money.. That setup is flat out terrible

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

Tech Mentor

I happened to be in the market for a mixer (see: el cheapo) and this mixer is retail for like 100 bucks, so it looked like a mixer with 2 free turntables (and I've always wanted to try turntables either with scratch or against traktor, maybe 2 traktor+2 analog...)
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LmnLm3 View Post
    I happened to be in the market for a mixer (see: el cheapo) and this mixer is retail for like 100 bucks, so it looked like a mixer with 2 free turntables (and I've always wanted to try turntables either with scratch or against traktor, maybe 2 traktor+2 analog...)
    Those tables will last you a week.. Buy yourself a numark mix track instead.. great beginner controller

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

Tech Mentor

bah, that's the other thing I was thinking of doing lol

still need to get sound from the laptop to the PA... The quest continues!

Thanks for the advice.

Any further thoughts from anyone still welcome!

YouTube
    SoundCloud

i know this is off topic but what went through my mind when i read the title was the 5 buck box from taco bell
    Production: HP G62 2.6 dual core, 8gb ram | Live 8 | APC40 | MPD32 | MPK Mini | NI A2 | KRK Rokit 6 G2s | 6pack of Rolling Rock
    DJ: Kontrol X1 | TP2

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by nuke5 View Post
    i know this is off topic but what went through my mind when i read the title was the 5 buck box from taco bell
    Are you sure that's off topic? :P

It says to me that just because something is known to be sub standard (i.e. toco bell "food") sometimes the cheap deal is what you're looking for, and most of the time it's better than nothing...

Maybe I snag that pack after all

See what I did there?

YouTube
    SoundCloud

tbh if you have the money why the fuck not? i mean if its crap you can sell it or throw it away. if you get some use out of it then it was worth it. plus if its a standard analogue mixer (or whatever the non-digital mixer is called) its good to keep around if you wanna do a dual gig. one channel would be you and one would be the other dude. yada yada yada.
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

Tech Mentor

I'm not tryin to burn money, I just figured if I can get it for under 100...

How much are needles? And are they different from styluses? Or cartridges? I googled and it's all 'analog' to me Really, though, I can't quite tell, and not sure what I would need anyway...

Might grab it for the mixer, even if I don't dual gig, the ipod dock could be useful when people at parties come up with their iphones and are like "Hey, play this song that I have?" I can just be like "gimme your phone, lady" bam.

We'll see... money is money, and I still haven't got a PA yet ... ugh...

YouTube
    SoundCloud

firstly... i fancy some taco bell now haven't had that in years since i was last in the usa

secondly... some of the first decks i started out on were some gemini belt drives owned by a friend. with good slip mats u can learn on some belt drives. if i was short on cash and wanted some decks then i'd probably go with beltdrives if it was a good deal.

tho you will probably be wanting to upgrade them to direct drives sometime in the future. if the price isnt all that much more than the mixer u could sell them on later tho anyway.

needles can be a bit pricy tho no real clue of current prices

not sure about that mixer tho looking at a quick photo of it... don't think i'd go for that. think i read u mentioning u wanting a mixer - but dont remember quite why u wanted one.

i havent had any reason to not just mix internally yet so picked up a cheap djtech djm101 for 20quid a while ago, as its just a nice (smallish) dj mixer layout but pure midi, so means i can add it to any other of my controllers for a more normal dj feel...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast