How do you handle tracks that plays at BPMs higher/low than 8%?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you handle tracks that plays at BPMs higher/low than 8%?

As I'm still learning to become THE ULTIMATE DJ, I've been wondering about how you guys mix tracks running a different BPMs? Of course you beatmatch, sync or whatever fits your style, but what do you do when you want to mix in a 100bpm track after a tracks that runs at 130bpm? In my experience, changing the tempo of a track so such just makes them sound "silly".

My current technique is to just mix in at drops, or take mix in the intro of track A into the outtro of track B. This is of course highly depended on the track. I'm also trying to just sync both tracks up; say I have track A running at 128bpm, track B runs at 135bpm, but to make the transition smoother I want sync track B to 128bpm, then slowly (or instantly) go back up to 135bpm. What are you're recommendations in this situations?

I know that there aren't any solution to fit all situations, but I would still like to have your thoughts and tips on the topic

Quote Originally Posted by decon View Post
    In my experience, changing the tempo of a track so such just makes them sound "silly".
    With high tempo modification, voices can sound like Mickey Mouse or Darth Vader, but every CD player (or at least Pionneer's CDJ) or DJ software has something to correct it.

I don't know what's you setup, i assume you got a controller, but i'll explain it for a "regular" dj too.

This option is called "Master Tempo" on my CDJs 350, and i guess it's called the same on Pionneer's other players.

On Traktor Pro 2, it's called "Key", it's the little note displayed on the right of the track's full wave form.

I don't know your mapping, but a button somewhere must be assigned to turn this on/off.

In both cases, that will allow you to change the pitch without any sound modification.
    The only problem you may encounter then is that one of the tracks will be either reeeeallllllyyy sloooooooow or really fast, comparing to the usual way it runs. (well i admit it's obvious ahahha).

What you can do then is when your transition is over, you can adjust the pitch of the "not normal" track (VERY SLOWLY so the audience won't notice it) back to it's normal level. Do it really slowly or the audience might notice that, and they won't be able to dance on a changing tempo.
    The best moment to change the pitch of the track running is as you figured out : breaks / beatless moments.

I hope i explained well, if you got any other question, feel free to ask i'll do my best to answer.
    Last edited by dope; 09-15-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Sometimes the audio algorithms do a decent job of extreme time stretching, but it's not that often, I would avoid using it unless I know from before that it will sound decent. Especially going extremes to slower BPMs are bad, what the algorithms are doing then is to throw away samples...

I would say build the faster track into some bigger climax, either in breakdown or using effects such as Traktor delay freeze or reverb to the max, filter it out and let the slower song start.

Ksandvik, algorithms that rule the master tempo or key ? Theses options are always on when i'm mixing, i've never had any problem. Well i'm not doing very hard tempo changes, all i do is moving between electro (128 more or less) to dubstep (140 more or less).

I have tweaked my 1200s so they go +/- 10-12%

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    Ksandvik, algorithms that rule the master tempo or key ? Theses options are always on when i'm mixing, i've never had any problem. Well i'm not doing very hard tempo changes, all i do is moving between electro (128 more or less) to dubstep (140 more or less).
    Both apply. Best is to test and see if you like it or not. Some hifi types abhor the artifacts, others don't care. Usually a 10% going up is fine and maybe 5% fine going down, but that's just my silly rule of thumb. I do think it's best to play songs close to their BPM and increase the tempo, in general, but it's not a rule.

ctrld

you don't always have to mix tracks with such a huge difference in BPM. you can just echo-fade out the first and then just drop the second.

a more fancy method would be to activate a loop, gradually adjust its speed while tweaking the key accordingly (or just leaving key lock deactivated), and then release the drop of the next tune, thus creating a buildup/transition of your own.

what I sometimes do is enter a loop and then start chopping it up with hotcues (with sync disabled so I can speed up or slow down freely), starting at the original speed and accelerating or slowing down to the desired tempo. then I drop the next track. that takes some time to master though.

Quote Originally Posted by decon View Post
    what do you do when you want to mix in a 100bpm track after a tracks that runs at 130bpm?
    I don't. IMO, it's our job to make the music flow, and BPM jumps like that generally don't. Be a DJ and work it down

Echo freeze
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    I don't. IMO, it's our job to make the music flow, and BPM jumps like that generally don't. Be a DJ and work it down
    sometimes a 100bpm to a 130bpm track makes for a great transition. those are just way harder to figure out. i have to jump 174 to 140 (and backwards) ALOT and those make for the must fun transitions.

i think you're limiting yourself too much if you only consider mixing in tracks with close bpms. it's the same with people only mixing hardmonicly in a theoretical way.
    "its not designed to impress mozart ffs its meant for ppl to rave out to." - unknown
    LAZERNOIZE Latest Gig Recording (50Min. of Trap+Dubstep)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast