The improvised DJ/production desk thread - Page 12
Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    WIs there anything else I could use to get an opaque clear window effect?

I wonder what I could use if I wanted to cut 13"x13" clear squares of something to put in the front of each cube. Any ideas? My only thing there is how I would secure it inside each cube.
    you can buy opaque acrylic, you can get all different colours, and you would just have just have to mark a line on the inside of the boxes which is the thickness of the acrylic your using and fix some cleats to just under that line and that will both hold the acrylic flush with the front and give you something to glue it to

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Ikea stuff is about as far as wood can get from being wood. If you're bolting through you at the very least need some big washers on the other side and I would prefer a whole plate, but that might be hard to find without having to drill and cut metal yourself.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Nice work man, looks like its coming along well! Hows the sturdyness if the expedits with the gorilla glue? Do they sway at all?

Unforunately this is ikea furiture for you. Its not a manufacturing fault, its hollow. 2/3mm MDF filled with cardboard. Ever wonder why its so light compared to a real bit of wood?

Using 4 bolts to hold stuff down and steady is a good call. You'll need some good bracing if your gonna put heavy, active speakers out on those slanted legs. . .
    This section felt particularly hollow, like on one of the panels when I put the pegs in they wobbled around while everywhere else they fit snugly.

I'm not putting the speakers on slanted legs, I am using those straight tubes with brackets on each end and bolting them straight to the expedit.

I got some big washers that are at least an inch diameter. When I was screwing those leg frames to the expedits it seemed like all the screws I put in along the very edge of the unit gripped into real wood while the ones in the middle kind of just went through, so I'm going to see if I can bolt through near the edge and I might do a test hole somewhere else to see if that one side really is more fucked up than usual.

Other than that the whole thing is really really sturdy with gorilla glue and it is the perfect height.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Ikea stuff is about as far as wood can get from being wood. If you're bolting through you at the very least need some big washers on the other side and I would prefer a whole plate, but that might be hard to find without having to drill and cut metal yourself.
    Yeah I have big 1" diameter washers. I may go look for a couple plates I can drill through, it shouldn't be too much of a problem if the washers aren't enough.

Bumping this to see how things turn out as I desperately need to fix up my furniture situation.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    Bumping this to see how things turn out as I desperately need to fix up my furniture situation.
    Ikea is calling your name... and from the looks of it, you probably live west of it any way lol
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

I've been exhausted the past couple days so nothing really new, my turntables, speakers, and the rest of my stuff is getting delivered from NY on monday. I'll finish this in the next few days.

I need to look into finding an ipad mount so I can float it above my s4/decks

Inspired by this thread I thought it was time for a new (first) desk for my DJ gear, so I would have my normal desk back for.... well... normal desk stuff.

Here's the result:

Am really happy with the result. Especially all the logical room I have left now for additional gear (perhaps 2 Xone 1d's?) and the height, which is always an issue being 1 meter 94.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Looks good!

How secure did you find putting the angle brackets through the expedit top? I haven't done it yet but the stuff might as well be hollow and the bolts aren't long enough to fit through with the washer.

I'm probably going to use some longer bolts I got just to be safe...

Also that is a cool X1 stand did you make it?

Those bolts just fit, although it's definitely better to use some longer ones if you have them laying around. The expedit is hollow, but there's enough other forces keeping it sturdly enough (thank you 2 years of physics), plus the shelf is leaning against the wall too.

I wouldn't put turntables on the shelf though.

Yeah, I made the X1 casing myself, so I could leave a lot of wires plus usb hub inside of that box when going mobile, thanks
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9