The improvised DJ/production desk thread - Page 13
Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

That looks really nice! Why the two different cartridges though?
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Quote Originally Posted by Michielygil View Post
    Those bolts just fit, although it's definitely better to use some longer ones if you have them laying around. The expedit is hollow, but there's enough other forces keeping it sturdly enough (thank you 2 years of physics), plus the shelf is leaning against the wall too.

I wouldn't put turntables on the shelf though.

Yeah, I made the X1 casing myself, so I could leave a lot of wires plus usb hub inside of that box when going mobile, thanks
    To get them to fit you can't use the plastic washer right? I am just worried about the bracket/shelf tearing the expedit

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    To get them to fit you can't use the plastic washer right? I am just worried about the bracket/shelf tearing the expedit
    true, you can't use the washer. But there's holes in the expedit itself anyway, so a little wearing of the shelf doesn't matter much i think. And it won't tear i think.

@poppinjay: I broke one of the bananas so this is a temporary solution. So are those slipmats, I really don't like hardcore, but they came with the TT's (second hand). I'll be going to berlin soon, a nice daytime mission to get me some funky stylii and slipmats.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I just need to figure out what to do for the front, I want to put a clear acrylic sheet in front and put the lights inside. I would want to dull it up though so it is opaque. Acrylic is expensive, prob $60 to get a sheet cut and then I would still need to scuff it up. Is there anything else I could use to get an opaque clear window effect?

I wonder what I could use if I wanted to cut 13"x13" clear squares of something to put in the front of each cube. Any ideas? My only thing there is how I would secure it inside each cube.
    Did you think about maybe trying these?

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Gooch View Post
    Did you think about maybe trying these?
    I looked at those but they are pretty ugly in person to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Michielygil View Post
    .. a temporary solution. So are those slipmats, I really don't like hardcore, but they came with the TT's (second hand).
    Neophyte, damn son, that brings back memories. :P

I'll be going to berlin soon, a nice daytime mission to get me some funky stylii and slipmats.
    Ah yeah, you'll be able to find really nice ones.
    Last edited by tekki; 08-20-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Wow I just got all my furniture, turntables, vinyl, speakers, and gear from NY this morning.

I forgot just how big and awesome the KRK rokkit 8s are with the subwoofer. I haven't had a nice home setup like I was used to in like a year and it is some pure ear pleasure to practice with real subbass and vinyl.

I am wondering what to do with the monitors they are bigger than I remember and heavy. On my old desk I mounted them on metal pipe flanges but that desk was real wood. I think I'm going to try to bolt through and then use these metal tops to bolt into the top of the table leg, hopefully it will be sturdy enough.

my old monitor stands which I now have (pics from my old setup)

I wish it was as simple as screwing into the expedit like that but for all intents and purposes I have to consider it hollow, so that means bolting through or my other option is getting a square of plywood or screwing into the lack shelves which would rest on top of the expedit with the stands so they wouldn't put any pressure on the expedit itself. I'm going to see if I can bolt the top metal speaker stand part to the ikea leg and see what happens.

still have been unpacking and no time to mount the speakers or shelves but i have been improvising

mounting those heavy rokits on long stands is gonna be precarious, especially on ikea stuff. How about getting separate, floor stands or wall mounts?
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    mounting those heavy rokits on long stands is gonna be precarious, especially on ikea stuff. How about getting separate, floor stands or wall mounts?
    I definitely don't want to do floor stands. I have two length options available to try. One is similar and slightly shorter than the pipe in the pic and one is a bit shorter.

If I was screwing into something solid it wouldn't be an issue. I wish I could see a cross section of one of the ikea boards, I know the edges must have solid particle board or something and if I could get a secure mount it would be perfect.

Another option would be to glue/screw two shelves vertically for each speaker so you would have two columns holding up each one.