The improvised DJ/production desk thread - Page 26
Page 26 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

hmm if building from scratch that's hard to say. if you woodworking skills are decent I would make it so the top part has a removeable upper portion with cut outs for all your gear so everything sits flush.

as for height- make it so that the top of the decks sit at about your belly button- that is ideal height for most people.

Here's my home Ikea Expedit offering that I put together a few days ago. You'll also see how I got over supporting the heavy KRK Rokit 8's - I used the angled Capita legs at the front of both the shelf and monitor stands, but also some straight Capita legs at the rear. Very pleased with how it's turned out.

Last edited by cheef; 11-18-2012 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vanaema78 View Post
    Hey,

I have some free time at school and I'm going to build a Expedits knock-off,
    but I need some inspiration and tips with the dimensions and etc.
    The only restriction I have is that it can't be longer in depth than 80cm or ~31 inches which should be plenty for technics in battle style.
    I want to build it from cubes so I could store my records.
    On top of it I would like to place a pair of technics, mixer and some other stuff.
    I'm thinking that in hight it could be around 100cm or ~40 inches for a 6'0 or 185cm bloke,
    the other plus with this hight is that I could build 3 cubes with that are tall enough for LP's and the thing would be just at the right height for me.
    I have no ideas about the width tbh, something around 160cm or ~63 inches so it has room for 2x1200+S4+spare.
    Any ideas or recomendations? How would you build your perfect DJ table?
    I really don't think you can beat this price/materials mark. I'd just suggest buying one.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    I really don't think you can beat this price/materials mark. I'd just suggest buying one.
    Yes, this would be totally reasonable in most of the situations.
    But I have some extra arguments: nearest ikea = 7h, I have to do 24h of work at school with wood,
    the material would cost under 100€ and I could use top of the range equipment.
    Also I dont like furniture made of MDF at my home really. Not my thing.
    But, if have anybody has good ideas, hit me up. I'm sure the Expedit isn't perfect.

Tech Mentor

Here's a quick sketchup I made. In real life the compartments will be about 10cm shorter and I will put some legs under it to achieve the required height.
    Last edited by vanaema78; 10-13-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Tech Mentor

i'm about to start building a better dj and production area. luckily a friend is a rather good carpenter we've discussed using ikea brackets and such in this build. i don't know if we'll use actual ikea "wood". but i know this build wil be rather simple. i believe in the last discussion, we was talking about.

reset decks and mixer
    2 x cdj shelves (angled inwards above decks)
    1 x laptop / midi shelf (wider than cdj shelves with adjustable angle above mier)
    3 x wide side draws on weighted runners (for midi keyboards and synths)
    1 x central wide draw on weighted runners (for midi keyboard)
    3 or 4 x regular desk sized draws but double depth(smaller midi devices and things like cd's etc)
    9 x vinyl squares

i'll post a photo tutorial once complete. i'm hoping to keep it below £150 max
    2 x Technics 1210's (mk3's), Xone 62, Denon 3500, TSP2, Traktor Kontrol S4, Midifighter, Macbook pro

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by cheef View Post
    Here's my home Ikea Expedit offering that I put together a few days ago. You'll also see how I got over supporting the heavy KRK Rokit 8's - I used the angled Capita legs at the front of both the shelf and monitor stands, but also some straight Capita legs at the rear. Very pleased with how it's turned out.

Very nice! I was recently tossing around the idea of building one of these, but was stuck in regards to the KRK 8s.

I was thinking of going with the 2x2 book shelf, larger raised table top, and independent monitor stands. Now seeing this, I may change my plans.

How deep is that? 2 of the 4x4 book shelves?

Tech Mentor

So I see a hell of a lot of cool desks in here, but nothing improvised! I found a huge ancient wooden ironing board at goodwill yesterday. It was covered in spider nests, dead wasps, and maple seeds, so I'm guessing that it came out of a barn or something. I dragged it back to my apartment and managed to fit it just right in front of my window. I'm thinking of putting a par can or something underneath it for some back lighting tonight!IMG_20121020_103433.jpgIMG_20121020_103511.jpg
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Quote Originally Posted by C.Lukas1 View Post
    Very nice! I was recently tossing around the idea of building one of these, but was stuck in regards to the KRK 8s.

I was thinking of going with the 2x2 book shelf, larger raised table top, and independent monitor stands. Now seeing this, I may change my plans.

How deep is that? 2 of the 4x4 book shelves?
    Yup, two Expedits.

Moved this to show your setup and stickied it. Do carry on.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES