The improvised DJ/production desk thread - Page 40
Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Can you post a drawing of your project?

Quote Originally Posted by deejaygarcia View Post
    Got some inspiration from this page. Going to build a Table that is both a DJ Booth (Standing Up) and a production desk (Sitting Down) with the following

2 - Expedit Shelves (small 4 shelves)
    1 - Expedit Shelve (long 5 shelves)
    1 - Lack Large Shelf
    2 - Capita Brackets

Very inexpensive and based on the design i have planned and measured it (even ran it through an arquitect to see if it would hold). I'll post pictures once I have something up and running.

Had to make some adjustments to get the right kind of wood. I'm sure you might be able to find a cheaper way to do it, and maybe even more sturdy, but so far, this table is extremely steady. I had a friend who works as an architect help me out with all the mathematical side and all the details for it not to fall apart.

This can get quite difficult since Ikea wood is pretty much crap.

It is still a work in progress as I still have to do some cable organizing and still have a couple of more things to purchase.

Originally, I was going to use one long lack wall shelf and one long expedit shelf. However, had I done that, the table would have been over 70 inches long. So we made some adjustments while at ikea and settled for two Lack Sofa Table (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50228034/) (you really only need one, but we got two to make sure the shelf we were going to use was the same lenght and would look the same. Personally, If I did it again, I probably would have just gone to home depot to get the wood cut up for the shelf).

I built the expedit shelfs and one of the Lack Sofa Table and had this:

0k5d.jpg

I also went out and bought some wood to have a base for the table. Spray painted it, added the capita brackets (and glued and nailed to the top shelf) and had this:

lww4.jpg

Nothing was bolted or screwed in as of yet.

Once we did that I realized that I was not going to be able to get any computer monitor in with out taking out part of the Lack Shelf at the top. So I did that, and bolted everything in, with about 5 inch screws for the lack sofa table to the ply and 3 inch screws for the plywood to the expedit shelfs.

1je1.jpg

Everything was extremely sturdy however, the top was a little wobbly, so we decided we needed to clamp it together, and it worked beautifully and it gives it a pretty cool look. This photo was taken yesterday.

zyvc.jpg

The dimensions work great for me, when djing the laptop can be a LITTLE high for me (I'm 5'10") but nothing too bad. The part that still needs the most work is sitting down, however, as of right now, Piano is extremely comfortable to play, keyboard and mouse will fit perfectly under the ply and after doing measurements I have come to realize that the biggest screen I will be able to fit is a 19".

Now, I'm ordering these things in the next few days.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=va1912a-led

-A Thunderbolt to DVI converter to be able to connect the macbook to the computer monitor
    -Apple Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse
    -Auralex Speakerdudes

Tech Wizard

quite an awkward position to have your mixer, no?
    d{-.-}b

Quote Originally Posted by HarryK View Post
    quite an awkward position to have your mixer, no?
    It's only put that way right now, So I can use my laptop to produce while I wait for the computer monitor to arrive, I placed the laptop in it's place and the mixer there for now.

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    Has anyone found a decent replacment for the angled legs yet that have been discontinued?

Nothing yet? Moving in to a new Apt in a month. Dying to rig something up...

Tech Mentor

The biggest issue I'm having with getting the perfect desk is monitor position. I'm going to have my monitors at sit level for production and wall mount a pair of hifi speakers to the wall for dj'ing. I've found I don't particularly care for dj'ing on monitors anyway.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by kanaberra View Post
    Hello,
    I used ikea modules to fully integrate the hardware which should not change anymore
    Nothing really new, just some ikea parts: lack+expedit...

Here some pix:

This looks fantastic. How did you cut the holes for the decks/mixer, they look very neat - router? Did you remove the hinges from the 1210s?

Hello,

How did you cut the holes for the decks/mixer, they look very neat - router?
    draw some markers (tape+holes), jigsaw (blade for profile), wood file + sandpaper
    /!\ Ikea parts are full of air (folded carton

Did you remove the hinges from the 1210s?
    yes I do

Please take a look to this album for more images

Br

k

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by kanaberra View Post
    Hey, thanks. That's really helpful.

Did you get the little legs that help support the weight of the extra shelf the decks and mixer are on (pic 26) from Ikea too?

k, What are the lets you used inside the the table for holding the self? The legs do not look like anything ikea sells. the ones that can be seen here:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K...824_161956.jpg

the ones on the outside look like the legs/brackets that come with the table. the other one that is holding the shelf is the one im interested in. thanks buddy.