The improvised DJ/production desk thread - Page 7
Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    I can't believe they don't do straight capita brackets.
    Au contraire:

This is what I used in my old apartment, nowadays I'm planning something bigger.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

I'm pretty sure that's what most people would call a leg, mon ami

I don't think balancing a speaker on 1 of them would be a good idea tbh

Tech Guru

Here's my stand that i made out of all recycled material while i was "between jobs" earlier this year.

Started with an old chest of drawers that was destined for the trash and a piece of kitchen benchtop that was left over from a kitchen installation or some shit. Found some old broken skate decks that were still around from my misspent youth so I decide that two pieces would make a fantastic monitor/laptop stand.

Actually had to buy some post stirrups from the hardware store. $10 down
    But at least now I can mount the monitors at ear height.

Bit of paint. Used an old spray can of satin black paint to create this masterpiece.

So there it is. Love the fact I've pretty much used nothing but scrap wood, broken old furniture and assorted hardware to put it together. Sure its not the prettiest, but it has a bit of charm. And it doesnt make my place look like page 23 of the Ikea catalogue, because I know that I'm not an individual snowflake...

Oh and Gerty, that single expedit design with the angled monitor mounts will fall over. I knwo from experience.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by bumtsch View Post
    Ah, cheers for the Capita legs reference, I was looking for them in the catalogue a couple weeks back and couldn't find anything.
    I'm using a single 2x4 expedit with everything stacked on top. At first, I wanted to put that on wheels but that would've been too wobbly, and I felt it'd be too high.
    Being 6ft tall (I could technically rest my wang on the mixer, not that I'd want to, even if it's a Xone) I noticed some slight back pain after playing more often/for longer than an hour at a time recently. This means I gotta raise things up.
    Considering using Capita legs which should be enough, but some of the comments here have me a little worried about stability. Not a big fan of adding an extra, deeper piece on top since I live in a small flat and I'm enjoying the reclaimed space from moving to the expedit and I don't miss having the laptop in front of me that much.
    I have the same set up and I placed 3 sets of wheels (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60169977) on mine and its perfect since on 6ft too, no back pain here also there's locks on the wheels so its sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by Garygary1 View Post
    and you dare "xonetacular"

I used to run a 4D and 2 1Ds back in the day

I would get a Xone DB4 but I kind of want a Mac-11...

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Au contraire:

This is what I used in my old apartment, nowadays I'm planning something bigger.
    Do you have any idea what kind of threading the feet use? I'm thinking get a small threaded metal rod and screw the ends of two feet together to make a vertical bracket.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The biggest problem I see with most setups is height. The top of your mixer or controller should ideally be level with your belly button.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post

So there it is. Love the fact I've pretty much used nothing but scrap wood, broken old furniture and assorted hardware to put it together. Sure its not the prettiest, but it has a bit of charm. And it doesnt make my place look like page 23 of the Ikea catalogue, because I know that I'm not an individual snowflake...

Oh and Gerty, that single expedit design with the angled monitor mounts will fall over. I knwo from experience.
    What are those metal vertical pieces from/called?

Yeah it looks a little too unstable for me. You try it? I might just go with the second idea I'm just not sure about the feet on it and what brackets would be adequate to really secure the two together.

Tech Guru

the vertical pieces are 300mm post stirrups from the Australian equivalent of home depot. I've tried using a siingle expedit with monitors overhanging the back and it was fairly wobbly. OK if you have the setup agaianst a wall but not great standalone in the middle of a room.

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    the vertical pieces are 300mm post stirrups from the Australian equivalent of home depot. I've tried using a siingle expedit with monitors overhanging the back and it was fairly wobbly. OK if you have the setup agaianst a wall but not great standalone in the middle of a room.
    Yeah I'll probably have this facing out into my living room so I guess I'll go with the double expedit idea.

How much bracketing do you think I would have to do to get them nice and secure together?

Anyone have any other ideas instead of a bunch of capita feet to raise it off the floor?

Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast