I need help choosing a usb hid to use in my project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default I need help choosing a usb hid to use in my project

Hi. I just joined today so that I could ask you this:

what, easy to use, no-need-to-program, usb HID DIY controller would have at least 32 digital and analog inputs?

I know it's not really long, but that's all I need.

have a look in the 'threads of interest' link in my sig - there are loads of threads that have answered this question in the past.

off the top of my head; Livid, Highly Liquid & UMC32 should do what you want with relative ease (minimal programming).

Tech Convert

Thanks I think that I might use UMC32 , but It seems a bit expensive to get two of them for what I need... I was looking towards below $100 for 64 configurable inputs (if not, 32 analog and digital preset ones)... don't think that's possible now though...

I would have used either U-HID or the BUO836, but niether had enough analog inputs.

as for livid, that seems a bit more expensive then I was looking for, although if my project was larger, then I would definitely use it. and highly liquid wasn't what I was looking for either.
    do you know of any 64 input devices (1 single one, not two together)?

The umc is midi so its plug&play no stupid converters
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Convert

Default My design

okay? I figured I will use UMC32 if needed. It's a bit pricey for the amount of input I was going to use (16 buttons & 18 analog inputs, don't need to spend the extra money for another one for only 2 more inputs... or do I not have to?).

There also seems to be 8 AUX pins, are those accessible as separate digital inputs from the other 32, or are they included?

this is one of the designs I have come up with (for limitations of budget, and regarding input limit if AUX doesn't do what I think it does)

my design has 15 sliders, 9 knobs, 9 buttons, putting it at 33 Inputs, but I will take out the top left button and replace it w/ an on/off switch or something...

blue circles are LED indicators for their control.
    squares are buttons
    the rest should be self explanatory.
    B = Bass,
    M = Mid,
    T = Treble.

(I have horizontal and vertical bass, mid, and treble sliders because horizontal ones control frequency, and vertical ones control the "power?" of the frequencies.

( I know I''m not the best artist, but it works.)

Tech Wizard

Trust me, get the one with MIDI output. Converters are a pain in zee asssss

I'm verry happy to tell you that these 8 digital inputs are NOT includid in the 32 D/A so its actually 40 !!
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Quote Originally Posted by lantaren View Post
    highly liquid wasn't what I was looking for either.
    Just out of interest, why didn't you like the Highly Liquid option? It's one of the cheapest choices and is an excellent product (supports encoders, has amazing product support on their forums, cheap, etc)

Just get a usb to midi adapter and install it inside the case.

Tech Convert

I didn't choose highly liquid as it only has 24 Inputs. I needed over 32 for my project(s)

as for UMC32 having the 8 extra digital pins in addition to the other 32, yay! exactly what I need for my project(s).

I'll post back here if I ever do get to actually make this... although I may drop the leds, they seem kind of pointless to cost what they do for what I need.

as for case wise, what would you guys recommend? I was just going to use some wood since it seemed fairly stable.

BTW, all components will be bought from sparkfun.

Highly Liquid has 24 physical inputs but if you use buttons you can wire them up in a matrix:

http://forum.highlyliquid.net/showthread.php?t=526

You're still limited to 12 analogue inputs as a maximum though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast