Speakers, and Why I hate Guitar Center
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Speakers, and Why I hate Guitar Center

Guitar Center always does this to me.

They have some really good price on something that seems to good to be true all the time and I'm like well...I am going to buy it and it always ends up being crap...

In other news, Question about speakers.

I bought a PA system that costed 300 originally, only paid 176 for it because they had damaged just the packaging and they had to sell it for half the price or something. So I get home plug the 300 dollar PA system which was 2 speakers and a amp...got super excited!!!! THEN.................it sounded like I had turned on a pair of ipod headphones and just turned them up super loud hahaha. I had NO BASS WHATSOEVER.
    And the Treble or higher notes sounded like crap too...They don't have a extra plug in either so i can't buy a basscab for it either.
    My question is....how much do you gotta put into a PA for some punch, I don't wanna blow my windows here, I just wanna make my liver quiver.

I don't know that much about speakers, but shouldn't 300 dollars worth pack a little more power than that?

Should I look into studio moniters instead first, then work my way to a basscab with an amp or... yeah Im just a bedroom DJ that's tired of computer speakers and wants some bass and clear quality...what would you recommend?

I have just a single (At the moment, for I am a broke kid) Rokit 5 Monitor, I find it to be a very good speaker, a friend of mine has the Rokit 9's or 8's, the much larger version they sound very nice as well. Not a massive amount of kick, but very good sound quality I'd recommend just getting a sub along with 2 of those, they're about 150ea. They produce a decent amount of bass but nothing to shake that liver of yours.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    I have just a single (At the moment, for I am a broke kid) Rokit 5 Monitor, I find it to be a very good speaker, a friend of mine has the Rokit 9's or 8's, the much larger version they sound very nice as well. Not a massive amount of kick, but very good sound quality I'd recommend just getting a sub along with 2 of those, they're about 150ea. They produce a decent amount of bass but nothing to shake that liver of yours.
    Now bare with me here...

Are those powered Studio monitors?
    Would I need an amp for them or do I just plug them into my dj setup?
    Traktor Kontrol S4/Maschine/Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Acer Aspire Notebook, Core I5 2.66 GHz-2.93/Electro/House/Older Dubstep/Glitch Hop

It really isn't Guitar Center's fault that you didn't do your homework. And, beyond absolute miracle deals (something that won't be found at a thriving retail center), $300 really isn't enough for a decent PA setup.

They're Powered, you need to plug them in, they have... (as I turn mine around to check) XLR, RCA, and TRS Ports, I love mine even though I only have one. You need a decent power output, sound-side to push them
    (I tried to plug my ipod into it when I got it to test XD it didn't work till I grounded the RCA cable out with my hand Rofl)
    Full volume and Decible Control knobs, (-2-+1DB)
    I personally love this speaker it doesn't push to hard but it does deliver the bass you need. The Rokit 5 is the smaller version, most people I see use Rokit 8's.
    2 5's is more than enough to play a house party or something, Idk what the performance output of the 8's are, however. I know for a fact that DJ-Bl3nd uses Rokits I think they're 8's I've seen a pair in one of his mix-videos so it's really up to you. You can plug the output from your mixes or w/e you're using to the speaker, or run it from your PC, I use the speaker when I'm mixing, and when I'm gaming. I highly recommend them.

Tech Wizard

For that price I would look for some krk rp6g2's or some m-audio bx8a's. The krks will have better sound quality but if you find a good price on the bx8a's (like i did) they pack a pretty good punch and are great for mixing.

The thing is...Rokits aren't in any way meant to be used as a PA system. They're studio monitors - good for solo listening in a bedroom or..well...a studio. If you're looking to throw parties you need 2 speakers with at LEAST 12 inch subs, but 15 inch would be better. I'd recommend the Behringer B215D models. They're only about 240-270 per speaker, powered, and from what I hear they have amazing quality for the price. I'm actually getting a pair for myself soon to complete my Mobile DJ rig.

Tech Wizard

Thats true but he said that he is just a bedroom dj looking for better sound.
    I have a behringer b300 that is awesome for parties but for just regular listening a 15" woofer is not necessary.
    I use my bx8a's in my house and I find them to be the perfect size because with the 8" woofer I don't feel that I need a subwoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by coryhoskin View Post
    I don't know that much about speakers, but shouldn't 300 dollars worth pack a little more power than that?
    Nope. That money should buy an OK pair of studio monitors. If you want decent quality PA's that give you a little bit of rumble, expect to spend a minimum of $1,000, and that's gonna be on the low end to get yourself something that works, but isn't the best audio quality, and has poor craftsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by dominant View Post
    Thats true but he said that he is just a bedroom dj looking for better sound.
    No. Specifically, he said he is looking for a PA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast