ATH-A900 Headphones with superior bass n quality!!!! cheap :)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Tech Mentor Kiino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    134

    Default ATH-A900 Headphones with superior bass n quality!!!! cheap :)?

    I just stumbled across this site Audio-Technica.... never heard of them before.

    http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/he...d97/index.html

    seeems legit. compared specs with krks and klipsch. far outmatches their line of headphones. theres a ath-a700 version which is 50$ cheaper. I think i might get these.

    thoughts??

    Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

  2. #2
    Tech Guru Sherlock Ohms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    1,596

    Default

    What do you propose using them for?

    Different requirements for Production/playout innit.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

  3. #3
    Tech Mentor Kiino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    What do you propose using them for?

    Different requirements for Production/playout innit.
    music production

    Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

  4. #4
    Tech Guru DJZILCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sydney/Singapore
    Posts
    635

    Default

    you dont want "superior bass" for music production, you want it as flat as possible for the most accurate representation of your music
    Setup:

    Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

  5. #5
    Tech Mentor Kiino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    134

    Default

    really ? even for edm ? gotta listen for a good kick and bass man

    Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

  6. #6
    Tech Guru Sherlock Ohms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    1,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiino View Post
    really ? even for edm ? gotta listen for a good kick and bass man
    Yeah, and if you use a pair of headphones that artificially boosts that, your finished tracks will sound like shit then played on a non boosted system ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

  7. #7
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiino View Post
    really ? even for edm ? gotta listen for a good kick and bass man
    He's saying that for production you don't want any of the frequencys boosted like the bass. Your music will sound awesome only in your headphones but everyone else who plays your music will wonder why the bass isn't loud enough.

  8. #8
    Tech Guru DJZILCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sydney/Singapore
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiino View Post
    really ? even for edm ? gotta listen for a good kick and bass man
    if your headphones have a "superior bass boost" and your actual track is flat and lifeless, it sounds okay in your headphones but when you put it on actual production speakers you will notice something is very wrong

    you want a headphone that is honest, what you hear is what it actually is, so you can really have control over your sound

    headphones that are pretty good in accuracy is the Audio Technica ATH50 and the Beyer Dynamics DT770

    if you are into production, try to save a bit and get a proper reference monitors, they mean a whole world

    with a proper reference monitor you can actually learn (in time) the concept of EQ-ing, for example how to boost the boom / attack of the kick, how to adjust the body of the snare, the presence of vocals, muddiness of the overall mix, all this take years of practice with the use of proper reference monitors, because without a "honest" monitor you cant get an accurate representation of the sound and thus you cant really learn on how to improve on them

    just my 2 cents
    Setup:

    Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

  9. #9
    Tech Mentor Kiino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJZILCH View Post
    if your headphones have a "superior bass boost" and your actual track is flat and lifeless, it sounds okay in your headphones but when you put it on actual production speakers you will notice something is very wrong

    you want a headphone that is honest, what you hear is what it actually is, so you can really have control over your sound

    headphones that are pretty good in accuracy is the Audio Technica ATH50 and the Beyer Dynamics DT770

    if you are into production, try to save a bit and get a proper reference monitors, they mean a whole world

    with a proper reference monitor you can actually learn (in time) the concept of EQ-ing, for example how to boost the boom / attack of the kick, how to adjust the body of the snare, the presence of vocals, muddiness of the overall mix, all this take years of practice with the use of proper reference monitors, because without a "honest" monitor you cant get an accurate representation of the sound and thus you cant really learn on how to improve on them

    just my 2 cents
    more like a dollar. great info man. what kind of honest monitors do you suggest? KRK's maybe? right now im using klipsch's promedia one and I made a post a while back comparing the two and everyone agreed these are monitor quality. I lookd at that ath but their site doesnt seem to have that product but I found this http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/he...e4d/index.html seems really good from the reviews. 200$ thoh

    Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

  10. #10
    Tech Guru GI Trackt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    519

    Default

    ATH-m50 / Beyerdynamic dt1350 /senn hd25 hands down are your best bets for producing.

    headfonia.com
    head-fi.org
    innerfidelity.com

    I've been doing tons of research on headphones lately and those 3 sites have been incredibly useful. good luck man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •