2 Channel Mixer and X1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2 Channel Mixer and X1

At the moment I'm using a BCF 2000 and a newly purchased X1, which I'm very pleased with.

With the addition of the X1 my BCF is only used for EQ (Which I can use the MIDI page of the X1 for) and levels. I have a few super knobs mapped to various effects but I barely touch it mid song, only when mixing.

I'm thinking of ditching the BFC completely, giving it back to my Dad, and picking up a small 2 channel mixer and decent soundcard. It's definantly a more compact setup and very portable, as I can just take my X1, soundcard and laptop (when I get one) to a club and plug into their mixer, while being comfortable with the traditional format.

Is this a good idea, or should I just stick with a fully MIDI setup? And can anyone recommend a cheap 2 channel mixer that will fill my needs? All I want is channel faders and 3 band EQ, nothing fancy.
    Last edited by NathanWard; 09-20-2011 at 01:55 AM.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

Tech Wizard

What genres are u mixing, the mixer +x1 setup is rly sweet for house and techno, I imagine not so much for hip hop or anythin not strictly 4x4
    Traktor Pro 2 -/- Xone 92 -/- Audio 8 DJ -/- 2x Kontrol X1 -/- Maschine -/- Xone XD53 -/- KRK RP6

Generally just Electro House and some Progressive. I favour long blends, generally 32 bars or more, with a bit of effects like Iceverb, Delay and filters.
    Last edited by NathanWard; 09-19-2011 at 05:01 AM.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

That's kind of exactly what the X1 was designed for.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Yeah the X1 with a 2 channel mixer and a soundcard is a pretty sweet and portable setup.

For the mixer I recommend you to get a used pioneer DJM ( 300/350/400 or even a 600 if you get a good deal) or A&H xone 22 or 32 rather than getting a cheap new mixer such as gemini or behringer. the Denon DN-X120 is pretty good piece of kit for the price too.

Tech Guru

I've recently done the transition that you want to do and the only bad of it was to be unable to record my mix because I don't have any record interface

Keep that in mind when choosing your mixer and your audio interface...

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff View Post
    I've recently done the transition that you want to do and the only bad of it was to be unable to record my mix because I don't have any record interface

Keep that in mind when choosing your mixer and your audio interface...
    I have just done the same,instead using an eks otus instead of kontrol1.
    I record by taking the record out (booth out/monitor output) of the mixer plugged back into my laptop mic input(same laptop running traktor)and record using audacity.give it a try.

I really like having the feel of a real mixer. feel‘s like ,surprise surprise ,I‘m mixing
    Last edited by zimfella; 09-19-2011 at 04:41 PM.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

Quote Originally Posted by zimfella View Post

I really like having the feel of a real mixer. feel‘s like ,surprise surprise ,I‘m mixing
    Yeah, I love the feel of analog mixers and real faders, the ones on the BCF are too stiff and feel odd.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

Quote Originally Posted by NathanWard View Post
    Is this a good idea, or should I just stick with a funny MIDI setup? And can anyone recommend a cheap 2 channel mixer that will fill my needs? All I want is channel faders and 3 band EQ, nothing fancy.
    could go with a midi mixer... i have a cheapo djtech djm101 for basic levels+eq control over 2 decks. it doesn't seem to get much love on this forum - but i like it...

edit: in case u were curious at all there's a photo of mine here http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=347365
    Last edited by zestoi; 09-20-2011 at 01:54 AM.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    could go with a midi mixer... i have a cheapo djtech djm101 for basic levels+eq control over 2 decks. it doesn't seem to get much love on this forum - but i like it...

edit: in case u were curious at all there's a photo of mine here http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=347365
    +1 i have one of those and love it.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast