My New Mix "Graded House"

Default My New Mix "Graded House"

It's been nearly a year since I recorded a new mix. Life has a habit of getting in the way. But music is never forgotten. So as hard as it is to offer a mix to the masses that shows creativity and originality, I believe I've made a mix that totally illustrates my sound. I hope you enjoy it. I had a blast compiling the music and putting it together.
    The mix was made using 2 Technic SL1200MKII Turntables, 1 Allen & Heath Xone 62 Mixer, Traktor Scratch Pro 2 on a Macbook Pro, 1 Kontrol X1, 1 Akai LPD8 and a Pioneer EFX 500. My idea of a DJ rig that blends Old Skool and Nu Skool.
    There was no post mix editing. It was recorded in 1 shot onto my Dell Inspiron running Audacity. The mix was Normalized and then converted to MP3.
    That's It! Happy Listening!

http://www.letsmix.com/mix/86973/graded_house

Zero 7 - Destiny (Chris Fortier 40oz Remix)
    Phonogenic & Sasse ft. James Teej - Tangential (Emerson Todd Remix)
    Jaidene Veda - Sunday (Noushies Vocal Mix)
    Robert Babicz - Warm Rain (Vocal Mix)
    Michel De Hey & M.I.R.K.O. - 5th Business Day (Nic Fanciulli Remix)
    Solomun - After The Rain Comes Sun (Joris Voorn Dusty Dub Stab)
    Roy Davis ft. J.Noize & Kaye Fox - Enjoy the Ride (James Talk & Ridney Remix)
    James Talk & Android Cartel - I Got Everything
    Wehbba - Mammut
    Curious George & The Agent - Perplex
    Sistema - Krace Gelly
    Jim Rivers - Junk
    Paul Ritch - Blue Light
    Prince - When Doves Cry (James Talk Remix)
    Funk D'Void - Diabla (Christian Smith & Wehbba Remix)
    Nick Warren - Buenos Aires (Deep in Palermoo Mix)

Samples:
    Jondi & Spesh - We Are Connected [Vocal Intro]
    Fight Club [Brad Pitt/ Tyler Durden]

Tech Mentor

I listened to your mix last night while watching my girlfriend play "Brutal Legend". I listened on my macbook speakers and turned it off after about 45 minutes to go to sleep. Here's my feedback.

- Your levels were good, but I am a little confused that you said that you "normalized" the mix. Leaving aside that many of the tracks are probably already normalized, I'm not really sure I understand why you want to do this to your DJ mix? Why not just record it loud and be careful about your levels, if you want it to be consistently loud?

- My GF said that it sounded like the kind of house mix you'd like to listen to while on a car trip. I agree with her, it was propulsive and not especially distracting.

- I was ok with your tracklist, except that I tended to not enjoy the vocals in your tracks. I guess overall I found the other tracks a bit boring, but felt you did a good job with them in the mix?

- The samples didn't really do anything for me. Unless there's a narrative, it seems sorta like.. some occasional samples.. I didn't understand why "fight club" was suddenly being sampled.

- I heard a single mix that was slightly off phase. Nothing any non-DJ would be likely to notice. Well done, especially considering the pace of your mixing.

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt