Question about getting the IG mapping to (semi) work with other controllers

Default Question about getting the IG mapping to (semi) work with other controllers

I've spent the last couple of hours going through various threads on DJTT to try and work this one out, to no avail. It's my understanding that 4 banks mode merely changes the function of the top 4 buttons so that you can change banks, switch deck focus and apply IG effect holds.

But if you were to use a controller that doesn't have any ability to change banks, would the instant gratification effects still work? (so long as I use the same midi notes as a midi fighter). In particular, why wouldn't the super combos still work? For example, super combo 1 is activated by pressing 4 notes down. When the Traktor mapping detects 4 notes it applies a secondary effect. Is there any more to it other than some mapping magic? (ie extra tricks going on in the firmware).

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

The easiest route is to just have 1 "page" and have the top buttons cycle the fx routing to the rest of the decks (this of course involves a some tweaking on the map. The long path involves having a modifier emulate pages, adapt the MIDI notes on the rest of the pages to the first one and incorporate this modifier (having to sacrifice or workaround some since part of the mapping already uses 2 variables).

well I was planning on having multiple controllers for each deck so I really don't need to do that. Basically, I just want to know how limited a controller would be if it doesn't have a 4 banks mode. How much of the IG mapping wouldn't work properly?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I think the only magic is in the bank mode, making mapping easier. I did try the X1 port someone posted a while back and the results didn't seem to be far from the MF version (once it imported nicely and the fx order was the right one).

Another way of doing it is having the top buttons switch software deck focus, this only requires you to modify one mapping page to follow the soft focus.

Tech Wizard

I've recently been trying to get the IG mapping working with my LPD8. It only has 8 pads, so I had to make some compromises (took out one of the sweeps, one of the gaters, delay, and echo out). For some reason though, some of the modifiers and super combos aren't working right.

For example, as I understand it, each one of the beatmasher buttons should increase M5 by 1 and the beatmasher combo should be triggered when M5=4. But the mapping in the 1.0.2 IG tsi also has modifier entries that set M5=0 if M5>0 for all four beatmasher buttons. With the LPD8 it means you can never get M5 any higher than 1 because every time you press the second beatmasher button in the sequence, it resets M5 to 0. I don't know how this works with the midifighter, but obviously it must...

I added some secondary conditions to the M5=0 entries that allow me to trigger the combo, but I think it made the mapping a bit buggy as a result. I have strange things happening, like the beatmasher will sometimes randomly hold or the transpose effect will just turn on and stay on...

Tech Convert

@Milo

I used my joystick as a MF clone to work the IG mapping.

As for deck selection, I dedicated TWO buttons for choosing between deck A and B, with DEVICE TARGET set to FOCUS. I then removed all the items for Deck B, C and D on the TSI while assigning the commands only to Device Target.

The remaining buttons emulate note C2 - G2 and A2 - B2. I have a button for every effect except reverb (which I don't use).

All combos work except the combo involving the reverb button. I wasn't really impressed with this combo anyway.

This system does not require me to have 4 Banks Mode in order to control the effects on different decks. 4 Bank Modes will tell MF to play different notes for Deck B, C and D.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    The easiest route is to just have 1 "page" and have the top buttons cycle the fx routing to the rest of the decks (this of course involves a some tweaking on the map. The long path involves having a modifier emulate pages, adapt the MIDI notes on the rest of the pages to the first one and incorporate this modifier (having to sacrifice or workaround some since part of the mapping already uses 2 variables).
    the long/short path is to try using my midimasher in the middle to do the translation as i've already coded the midifighter 4banks stuff. tho i am totally underwhelmed by the feedback so far - tho i haven't created a new thread for it yet, kind of hidden it here

i guess people generally aren't at all keen on the hassles of setting up virtual midi ports for it or something...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

sorry dude - I've been meaning to try it for awhile now but I just haven't had time (plus i've just reinstalled my laptop and it's not in a fit state to run Traktor etc yet!).

i'd probably suggest making a video of it in action and then making a new thread in the main forum to show what it can do. Bound to get some interest from a few people there

Quote Originally Posted by MiL0 View Post
    sorry dude - I've been meaning to try it for awhile now but I just haven't had time (plus i've just reinstalled my laptop and it's not in a fit state to run Traktor etc yet!).

i'd probably suggest making a video of it in action and then making a new thread in the main forum to show what it can do. Bound to get some interest from a few people there
    np lol. i'm not going to create a thread for it until i get at least some feedback tho. while i'm 99% sure it'll work for other people there could be some teething problems that i havent thought of and am not ready just yet to get inundated by questions of how to setup virtual midiports correctly with it tho i did wack all the needed info afaik on your thread.

i've just picked up a real midifighter too - so dying to work that into my setup. i was actually thinking of running it thru midimasher with toggles on an external controller like the lpd8 or launchpad to give me maybe 8 banks of 4x4 on the midifighter and have one of those emulating the 4banks mode... too many options maybe
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"