Monome?

Thread: Monome?

Tech Mentor

Default Monome?

Any monome users out there? I guess the principle behind using a matrix style controller is similar to that of the midi fighter...but as a "2 decks and a mixer" guy, I have trouble wrapping my head around how this is utilized in a DJ setting.

I was hoping some of you could perhaps enlighten me on this subject. I've always been curious, and I've always been interested and entertained by DJs who use them...but I've never really found a good explanation on what they're being used for (perhaps I haven't looked hard enough), and how they're utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    Any monome users out there? I guess the principle behind using a matrix style controller is similar to that of the midi fighter...but as a "2 decks and a mixer" guy, I have trouble wrapping my head around how this is utilized in a DJ setting.

I was hoping some of you could perhaps enlighten me on this subject. I've always been curious, and I've always been interested and entertained by DJs who use them...but I've never really found a good explanation on what they're being used for (perhaps I haven't looked hard enough), and how they're utilized.
    A better question might be the Novation Launchpad, a ton of people around here use that (or the APC40). The midifighter is also a grid controller, although I'm not sure if you're looking to include that. The monome is sort of overpriced and has a small market of music producers, but very few DJs from what I can tell.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Tech Mentor

I guess any matrix or grid-type controller, really. The monome came to mind mainly because it's, from what I can tell, just a shit ton of light up buttons...i've watched people mix with it, but I still have no idea what the heck they're actually DOING with it, y'know?

When they're properly utilized I've seen them used to trigger cues, play, bend, launch sample slots, and use one-button effects (like in the instant-grat mapping for midifighter). Normally a mixer of some sort is required for grid controllers to be functional. Ean's setup of two midifighters and a Rane scratch mixer is a grand example.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Banned

The thing with the monome is you have to program it yourself from what I learned, as it was built to be open ended and fully customizable for whatever your set up requires

Monome's main use is to be a sequencer

but you can use it for what ever you want really.