Sorry another laptop question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sorry another laptop question

I have been going through the set up pages..and i was about to buy a Sony Vaio laptop.

I have not seen allot of people using the Sony Vaio....is there a reason for this??

This is the spec i was going for...seems pretty decent!?

Sony Vaio VPCEB4E4E/WI

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-480M Processor
    500GB Hardrive
    - 2.66 GHz (2.93 GHz max Turbo Frequency)
    - 2.5 GT/s DMI
    - 3 MB L3 Cache
    - Dual-core
    Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    RAM - 4GB installed DDR3 RAM
    Graphics card Intel® HD Graphics
    - 1751MB total available memory
    Screen type LCD widescreen
    Screen resolution - WXGA
    - 1366 x 768 pixels
    Screen size 15.5"
    Screen features 16:9 aspect ratio
    Hard drive 500GB SATA
    Optical disk drive DVD Writer
    Memory card reader Memory Stick and SD card slots (SDHC, SDXC compatible)
    USB 4 x USB 2.0 (including 1 x USB/eSATA combo)
    FireWire No
    Modem/Ethernet 1 x RJ45 Ethernet port
    WiFi IEEE 802.11b/g/n WLAN
    Bluetooth Yes
    Video interface 1 x HDMI
    1 x VGA
    TV output 1 x HDMI (digital video/audio)
    1 x VGA (analogue video)
    Expansion card slot ExpressCard slot
    Sound Dolby Home Theater®
    Integrated microphone
    Webcam Yes
    Battery Lithium-Ion battery (6-cell)
    Up to 3 hours battery life
    Additional features Web button - instant web access without full boot-up
    Accessories included Power cord, AC adapter, battery, documentation
    Software included VAIO Gate
    PMB VAIO Edition
    Media Gallery
    VAIO Media plus
    VAIO Care
    VAIO Transfer Support, VAIO Update, VAIO Smart network
    Adobe® Reader® 9, Microsoft ® Office Starter 2010
    McAfee® Complementary subscription, Norton Online BackUp Trial
    Remote Keyboard, Remote Play with PlayStation® 3
    Google Chrome Browser (Default), Internet Explorer® 8
    Size 369.8 x 248.2 x 31.1 mm (W x D x H)
    Weight 2.7 kg

Cheers

Cpod
    Last edited by Cpod; 09-21-2011 at 03:34 PM.

I won't comment much on the machine you listed. I'm sure it's a great machine and would run your desired software without issue -- once you went through the initial setup.

In my experience, Sony Vaio's are good laptop machines, but they do not justify the large price tag. You really do end up paying for Sony's name in my opinion. For a similar price, you could get a macbook that would be more easily used for audio work. It's not that the PC wouldn't work, it's just for the price of Vaio's you could have a mac which is better for dj/production work.

Now, if you want to get a Windows based computer, there are many cheaper alternatives that will have the same hardware or better. Look at some asus, dell and possibly Toshiba alternatives. You can get the same hardware from a reputable company and spend the money you save on software, music or hardware. The reason why I recommend a mac is you do not have to have the same concerns regarding audio drivers and audio handling. As well as additional configuration regarding system processes and resource handling. You can still get PC's to work, you could just possibly have to troubleshoot some unknown issue.

This is just my opinion and the viao is a great machine, but i've never came across a reason why I could see a viao is worth the extra large price pack.

Tech Wizard

As someone who has fixed many laptops in my day, I would suggest you do everything in your power not to buy a Sony Laptop. I have had nothing but problems with them stemming from poor build quality. The most common problem is that they overheat all the time. I would suggest look at an Asus, or even an HP machine if you want to stay with windows. Otherwise you can definitely not go wrong with a MBP.
    2x CDJ 900 | DJM 900 Nexus | TSP2 | 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz | KRK RP6 | Sennheiser HD 25-1 mkII

I've got a Sony Vaio.

I wouldn't buy one again.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

God!! Not good:eek:

Its only £500 for this above mentioned laptop....and thats my budget tbh. I would love a Macbook but i cant even afford a refurbed one at the mo as even they seem to go for £700 +

As long as i get the same kind of spec with another brand then?

HP,Dell,Samsung,Asus ect???

I've got a HP Pavilion that runs like the wind.

I WOULD buy HP again.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

I run on HP and on Dell/Alienware. Both rigs thumbs up.

My biggest recommendation is when you get a laptop, nuke everything and install a fresh copy of the Windows OS, or try to un-install all the bloatware that comes with Windows laptops.

Then do yourself a favor and nuke the Norton installs of AV/security etc etc.
    Get yourself a less system hog of AV program and additional malware protection. I believe there are forum posts on here with recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I've got a Sony Vaio.

I wouldn't buy one again.
    This!

I stopped buying Sony products back in 1999 and haven't regretted it one bit. After seeing how they treat their customers I stopped supporting them.

Not to mention that Sony VAIO's are junk, I would not waste your $$$ if I was you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paka Ono View Post
    This!

I stopped buying Sony products back in 1999 and haven't regretted it one bit. After seeing how they treat their customers I stopped supporting them.

Not to mention that Sony VAIO's are junk, I would not waste your $$$ if I was you.
    +1

Sony has become a mere shadow of it's former self. Not only computer but pretty much everything they used to be on top of their game, their have been surpassed by other companies. Read this: http://gizmodo.com/5477633/how-sony-lost-its-way at the end of the article they have a lot of other links to other Sony clusterfucks and simply imbecile decicions.

Due that ALL SONY PRODUCTS have suffered from a fragmented company and Vaios are very well there. I have also has my share of repairing Vaio computer and they are just OVERPRICED. Flimsy cheap components whith an OS so cluttered with trials, demos and other bloatware that bring the OS to it's knees no matter the specs you have.

Usually they wont come with a pure Windows but rather when you reintall all the shit will install too. That said the best Windows based laptops are made by Clevo. If budget is an issue just get something with a good warranty and a service center near where you live.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

youre definately paying for the name, i picked up my 3rd HP a few months ago, granted its an i3, not an i5 but for £300 i wasnt complaining, it has 500gb hdd, led screen, came with 4gb ram, upgraded to 8gb as soon as i got it home. nuked everything that i dont need and when running tsp2 no matter how many fx i run on a stress test the cpu does not exceed 8/9 %, and consider i also use it as my day to day for browsing etc... i think you could do far worse, dont get me wrong if i could afford the price of a mbp id have one in a flash, but dont waste the money on a name like sony.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast